Pulpit and lewmar windlass for 86 bayliner ciera 2450

_CanAsian_

Cadet
Hi. Im looking at buying a lewmar windlass for my 86 bayliner ciera 2450. My boat does not have a pulpit. The guy at the shop im going to buy the windlass from says to just install a roller directly on the bow and use the windlass this way. Is this even possible? Ive never seen a boat with a windlass without a pulpit. Im not sure though. Wouldnt i be risking hitting the bow of the boat with my anchor? Also does anyone know where i can get a pulpit for my boat? Thanks!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Pulpit and lewmar windlass for 86 bayliner ciera 2450

Our 270 Sea Ray does not have a pulpit but has an anchor roller that works real well with a nice size plow type anchor and windlass.
Mark

Same here. Before you go buying stuff, tho, make sure your Ciera is suitable for a windlass. Read the part of the specs that talks to the amount of below-deck 'free fall' space required for the anchor rode. It's usually a minimum of 18", so make sure your locker is deep enough.

Good luck!

_CanAsian_

Cadet

Ya im going to measure that soon. The guy said it needed to be 14-16 inches deep. What if its just shorter? Like why would my boat have an anchor locker if its not big enough for a windlass? Or do people manually anchor the bow and then take it all the way into there cuddy to put it in the anchor locker? This just doesnt make sense. I just want to anchor at the press of the button without having to get up there or make mu girlfriend get up there and toss the anchor. I dont mind spending some money. Im not cheap but im deffinatelely not rich lol. Thanks!

atika

Cadet

you can bought a aluminium pulpit, as i don't think installing lewmar windlass is possible without pulpit.. i have seen some boats with aluminium pulpit, works fine!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Ya im going to measure that soon. The guy said it needed to be 14-16 inches deep. What if its just shorter? Like why would my boat have an anchor locker if its not big enough for a windlass? Or do people manually anchor the bow and then take it all the way into there cuddy to put it in the anchor locker? This just doesnt make sense.

I just want to anchor at the press of the button without having to get up there or make mu girlfriend get up there and toss the anchor. I dont mind spending some money. Im not cheap but im deffinatelely not rich lol. Thanks!

1. I'm not quite picturing your setup. Are you saying that your locker doesn't have an outer hatch on the bow? How do you store your anchor now? My 21' and my 24' (express cruiser similar to yours) both had a bow anchor locker with a large access hatch. The locker stored both the anchor and rode. My 27' only has a smallish access port, but it came from the factory with a bow roller and windlass.

2. It isn't as simple as just pushing a button. Somebody will still need to be at the bow when you deploy and retrieve the anchor, PARTICULARLY if you don't have sufficient free-fall space below the pulpit/roller. Rode backs up in the locker and jams in the gipsy. Hockles in the line jam in the gipsy. A ragged chain splice end jams in the hole leading to the locker. Somebody needs to be up there to clear the jams when they happen. It isn't effortless. If you single-hand the boat, consider putting a foot switch at the bow in addition to the one on the dash.

3. Boats smaller than mine don't commonly have a windlass due to the 'shallowness' of the locker. On a 24', an owner who wants a 'powered' solution typically looks at a winch instead of a windlass, but it depends on the boat. I personally don't think you have enough locker depth for a windlass. If it can be made to work, the locker will fill up fast - you may need to limit your rode length to less than 100'.

I'd also suggest you go to the owners' 'club' at the Bayliner corporate site and see what other owners think before you spend the money.

My.02

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Check out this link as right there on Lewmar site it showed a minimum depth of 12 inches is needed:
Horizontal Windlasses

Mark

Thanks, Mark- guess I forgot some the finer details, but went back and noted that Lewmar says you need 12" free fall clearance, even when the locker is full. Same spec for both horizontal and vertical windlasses. The OP will need to measure locker depth from the top of the rode 'pile' inside it, to the deck. Very important.

_CanAsian_

Cadet

My locker kind of goes down to a point. And the deepest part of it is 19 inches. Why is this so complicated when almost every boat i see around my size has some way of anchoring without tossing the anchor over manually?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe you just need to look at it in terms of a few decision that best suits your needs and do a little research as 19 inches should be fine for the depth of the locker.

Decide:
1-do you want a pulpit or bow roller? Should be able to do either.

2-the style of anchor you want to use, the weight of anchor you want to use, the size of chain/line and how much you want to carry. Different anchors are better than others depending on the type of bottom.

3-do you want foot controls by the anchor(nice to have) or just a control at the helm?

4-do you want a horizontal or vertical windlass? Horizontal is mostly on desk, vertical with have the motor in the anchor locker and take up some space.

Then with that information thought out you can research what the possible choices are.

Mark

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Maybe you just need to look at it in terms of a few decision that best suits your needs and do a little research as 19 inches should be fine for the depth of the locker.

Right. It isn't all that complicated, but you want to have the right setup before you blow a grand or more, don't you? You're looking at this as though you should just be able to slap in a device, press a button and voila! - you're done. It doesn't work quite that way in the real world.

Anchor windlass operation and locker depth are linked. You can't get around it. The Lewmar specs say that if you have 12" of free-fall space when all the anchor rode is in the locker you should be okay. If not, it's a crapshoot and you might be better off with a winch.

My .02

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're looking at this as though you should just be able to slap in a device, press a button and voila! - you're done. It doesn't work quite that way in the real world.

Well put.

I didn't even address the issue of power to him which in my case, and probably in the installation instructions of the windlass, is that probably a 40-50 amp power breaker is needed, usually right off the battery and a pretty thick cable running up to the windlass, dash connections, etc.

Or potentially laying on your stomach reaching into the anchor locker running connections, mounting hardware, cutting holes, etc. etc. etc. Can't count how many washers or nuts I dropped to the bottom of the locker when I had to replace my windlass motor.

Mark

_CanAsian_

Cadet

Okay then what is a good winch for my set up? Like no one here has this boat or knows someone with the same one?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

CanAsian, I suggested in post #6 of this thread that you go to Bayliner's website and kick this around in their owner's club/forum. You have a better chance of getting model specific feedback there than you do here. This thread's been active for a week, only a few of us have chimed in and we can only give you general advice. I guess the answer to your question is that nobody here has the same boat, or if they have they haven't installed a windlass or winch.

A friend with a 25' Larson has had a Powerwinch on his bow for something like 20 years, and it works. That's all I can tell you about winches.

My .02

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Hey! 3000 posts! So, when will I get the iboats $5000. gift certificate??