1987 Procraft 1950 steering lube?

ninhalo5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I was out lubricating the moving parts on my boat and noticed the steering wheel has dome drag. I can't find any grease nipples for the steering column. How would I go about lubing this thing? Just hit it with some WD-40 or some of that white spray grease (I forget what it's called think it starts with a P)?
I'm not sure if all these boats are created equal but the set up I have is is 2 separate round gear boxes with the column going through both, the column at the bottom is covered with a cap and some sort of pin going through it. On the lower gear box is a warning to not disassemble. Replace entire box if opened. The gap between the 2 boxes is only about as wide as a flat washer.

I can't figure out how to get the plastic casing off the dash just under the steering wheel to get access to the mounting bolts. The shaft has an alignment key built in ( or maybe just rusted in place) that prevents the plastic from sliding off the shaft.

Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1987 Procraft 1950 steering lube?

It is normally the cables themselves that are causing the drag and need to be replaced. They rust and deteriorate inside and the entire cable needs to be replaced.

Do some investigation because it sounds as if you have a dual cable system. Figure out which cable is failing and replace it.

Bob_VT

Staff member

They are sealed cables and not a "lubricated" item but people have done it and nursed a few more years from a cable.

ninhalo5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes it's dual cable. The wheel still turns pretty nicely, so I do believe I can get away with using the cable for this season. It does feel and sound like its the actual shaft though. Kinda has a squeak to it.

When I go to replace the cable I might try to get some graphite down in it first and see what happens.

Ahh, yes lithium grease is what I was thinking of earlier...

Bob_VT

Staff member

Unless they have changed the cable design.....they are sealed and do not come apart. Some people have soaked the entire cable housing and all in marvel mystery oil but I don't recommend that. I would replace a failing cable.