Capacity Plate Info

jjhjrcmh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good morning, I have a 1998 Neptune Sunbird 23-8 CC with a 200hp evinrude. My capacity plate has worn off and I was wondering if anyone on here had this boat. I need the information off of this plate to get a new one. The Coast gaurd inspected my boat and failed it due to non readable sticker. This was a safety inspection but was mentioned it could present problems. Any help would be grateful

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Capacity Plate Info

According to the Boat Specs here on iboats......

Your Max HP is listed at 225

I would suggest that you go to the USCG site and use the formula to figure out the weight/load capacity (It is a mathematical formula) and then have a plate made. in this post http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...-capacity-plate-made-line-updated-560465.html the owner had a plate made and it will never fade.

Last edited:

ken51k

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The inspector had no right to fail you for the capacity plate. Your boat is a 23 footer and does not need a capacity plate under this law.

Under the U.S. Coast Guard Federal Boat Safety Act of 1971, boats less than 20 feet powered with an inboard, outboard, or stern drive engine manufactured after November 1, 1972, must display a capacity plate defining the safe load limits. This plate must be mounted where you can see it when preparing to get underway. Sailboats, canoes, kayaks and inflatable boats are exempt from this standard.

NYBo

Admiral

Who was performed the inspection, Coast Guard Auxiliary or regular Coast Guard? I'm guessing the former.
The inspector had no right to fail you for the capacity plate. Your boat is a 23 footer and does not need a capacity plate under this law.
You are correct in the first sentence, but, although you are correct in the second sentence, a capacity plate is NOT required on any boat to pass a vessel safety check.

jestor68

Commander

I would take a copy of the inspection to the nearest office that conducted it, and let them know how incompetent their inspectors are.