Anchor chain question

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Anchor chain question

1/4" chain from 20 to 25 feet should be adequate. More chain is great for anchoring, but not great for hauling in and hauling around.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I run 1/4" chain and 1/2" line. That's what works with my OEM windlass. My boat weighs in at something like 8500 lbs fully loaded.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Assuming you do have a windlass, the more chain the better especially if potential areas you might be anchoring are prone to high activity with wind, swells, etc.

Mark

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

If you have a windlass, chain choice becomes important. You need to make sure you buy the type of chain specified for the windlass.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I went with 20' of 5/16" G40 which was a bit of "overkill" but we occasionally get 40+mph wind gusts. 26' boat, 5,000lb dry weight, no windlass.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I went with 20' of 5/16" G40 which was a bit of "overkill" but we occasionally get 40+mph wind gusts. 26' boat, 5,000lb dry weight, no windlass.

The key is whether or not the OP is using a windlass. If he is, it's sized to a specific line, or line/chain combination. Overkill isn't possible unless you can change the gypsy. You might be able to do that with some (not sure), but I can't change mine. I'm locked into what I have now.

My .02