1999 Regal 2100 lsr???

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice
Ok gang,

Getting ready to buy a 1999 Regal 2100 with 5.0 Volvo in it. Anyone have any thing good or bad to say about it? I. Test drove it today...and I gotta say...WOW does that thing fly! Boat seems to be in great shape as far as the interior goes. A few minor issues, but nothing that I can't deal with. Dealer is gonna replace the stereo for me because it seems to have quit since they took it in trade. Hour meter says around 300hrs....not sure I believe that, but even if that's 600 hours...that's not bad at all! This is by 1st big boat purchase...I am trading my inherited 1993 bayliner 1950classic. It's time to move to something a little more reliable! Anyone comments would be appreciated!
image.jpg

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1999 Regal 2100 lsr???

The good:

That hull design with a 5.0 makes for a very snappy boat. Throw a 4-blade SS prop on there and it will be a blast to operate. It will also handle chop nicely for a light 21 footer.

The not so good:

The wood-grained plastic parts in the cockpit, the plastic side window trim, and the plastic side mirrors are no longer available from Regal dealers, so try not to break them or let the sun ruin them or you will be out of luck.

The ski locker tends to get gelcoat cracks and can leak water into the foam below. The carpet covered deck can rot. Check these things thoroughly.

If you are going to get a new stereo, I highly recommend the Sony head unit that has a compartment for an ipod rather than a CD player (I cannot recall the model). I installed one last year with some Infinity 612M speakers and love the combo.

I like the color scheme, it's the same as my 2000 2550LSC.
285191_2073801976596_6311443_n.jpg

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice

The good:

That hull design with a 5.0 makes for a very snappy boat. Throw a 4-blade SS prop on there and it will be a blast to operate. It will also handle chop nicely for a light 21 footer.

The not so good:

The wood-grained plastic parts in the cockpit, the plastic side window trim, and the plastic side mirrors are no longer available from Regal dealers, so try not to break them or let the sun ruin them or you will be out of luck.

The ski locker tends to get gelcoat cracks and can leak water into the foam below. The carpet covered deck can rot. Check these things thoroughly.

If you are going to get a new stereo, I highly recommend the Sony head unit that has a compartment for an ipod rather than a CD player (I cannot recall the model). I installed one last year with some Infinity 612M speakers and love the combo.

I walked all over the floor...it seems very solid! The drivers dash has some warping and pull away in the wood grain on the left edge...the dealer was gonna try to hit with the hair dryer or something and bend it back into place. The mirros look to be in great shape! And I am sure I can find out what kind of radio they r putting Monday when i talk them about a final price...the marina is 10 miles from me...so we are doing Alot of emailng and phone calls

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice

It also l a brand new 4 blade SS prop

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I walked all over the floor...it seems very solid! The drivers dash has some warping and pull away in the wood grain on the left edge...the dealer was gonna try to hit with the hair dryer or something and bend it back into place. The mirros look to be in great shape! And I am sure I can find out what kind of radio they r putting Monday when i talk them about a final price...the marina is 10 miles from me...so we are doing Alot of emailng and phone calls

That plastic does not stand up well to sunshine. Mine stays in the shade as much as possible and when anchored, I cover the helm and passenger consoles with towels. If mine ever does get ruined, I'll mold a new flat piece to replace it and fit the boat with a pair of LCD monitors and NMEA2000 engine parameter sensors.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

It also l a brand new 4 blade SS prop

Insane mid-range acceleration eh? Mine had a Merc 5.0 (carbureted) with a 1.78 Alpha drive and a 20" Stiletto 4 blade SS prop. Nice hole shot and 30-50 acceleration like a muscle car.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Where the swept back side window meets the hull has a bad tendency to crack. Poorly designed. Other than that you'll get one zippy rig.

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice

Where the swept back side window meets the hull has a bad tendency to crack. Poorly designed. Other than that you'll get one zippy rig.

Yep there is a crack in the frame area of that section.....right next to hull!...it doesn't look bad though! Yep it's a zippy rig for sure....no more struggling to get up on a slalom ski!!!

mykwalker1

Recruit

Yep there is a crack in the frame area of that section.....right next to hull!...it doesn't look bad though! Yep it's a zippy rig for sure....no more struggling to get up on a slalom ski!!!

I'm looking at the same model - the 2000 version. What are your thoughts on the size of the swim platform? Seems much smaller than other models. Also, what is the rated capacity if you recall? I've got 3 kids and if they bring a friend ... want to make sure there's room.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I'm looking at the same model - the 2000 version. What are your thoughts on the size of the swim platform? Seems much smaller than other models. Also, what is the rated capacity if you recall? I've got 3 kids and if they bring a friend ... want to make sure there's room.

There was a bolt on swim platform option. The standard "platform" is more like a step. I think the rated capacity is 8.

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice

The good:

The not so good:

So the gelcoat underneath the ski locker is now a cracking mess. I is there a simple fix to seal this up? Tons of Flex-Seal...lol? Thoughts? Comments?. The boat has always taken on a bit of water whenever it is on the water....I have never been able to find out from where...I have crawled underneath the whole thing and watch things in the engine compartment for an extended period of time....still never seen a thing....

roffey

Commander
you might try and put it on the trailer and put some water in, then check to see where the water drips out. Take some pics of the ski locker and post.

As you are the OP you do what you want but if I were you.... I'd start a new thread. This one is an old one and the title reads like you are purchasing the boat.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
So the gelcoat underneath the ski locker is now a cracking mess. I is there a simple fix to seal this up? Tons of Flex-Seal...lol? Thoughts? Comments?. The boat has always taken on a bit of water whenever it is on the water....I have never been able to find out from where...I have crawled underneath the whole thing and watch things in the engine compartment for an extended period of time....still never seen a thing....

I peeled up the loose stuff, used a shop vac and a heater to dry the foam out that's under the locker floor using the holes that are in the floor, glaseed over the entire locker floor, and painted it with rattle cans. Came out really nice and the glass prevented cracks (the original floor was just gelcoat over plywood.

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice
Ahhh...rattle cans=spray paint.....i found the product on lowes page...do u remember if you bought the large or small can of resin?

Last edited:

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice
Will the fiberglass and resin stick to the remaining gel coat when I overlap the gel coat that is still good?