Need to find a rudder tie bar

JustPhish

Cadet
At the end of last season in rough water the tie bar for my port rudder snapped right where it enters the socket at the tiller arm. I still had rudder control in the starboard because the wheel connects to that one first. Now it's time to start looking at fixing the problem. I can't fit into the space to measure diameter and length of the bar. Is there somewhere I can look up what the specs might be for my boat. I have tried every way I can think of an come up empty. It's an 82 Chris craft Catalina 281 express. 29'. Stretching into the space the best measurement I can get is around 36" in length and 3/4" diameter.

Are these things fairly universal that once I find a place selling one the right length I can just buy it and have someone install it?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need to find a rudder tie bar

At the end of last season in rough water the tie bar for my port rudder snapped right where it enters the socket at the tiller arm. I still had rudder control in the starboard because the wheel connects to that one first. Now it's time to start looking at fixing the problem. I can't fit into the space to measure diameter and length of the bar. Is there somewhere I can look up what the specs might be for my boat. I have tried every way I can think of an come up empty. It's an 82 Chris craft Catalina 281 express. 29'. Stretching into the space the best measurement I can get is around 36" in length and 3/4" diameter.

Are these things fairly universal that once I find a place selling one the right length I can just buy it and have someone install it?

Nope,.... Nothin' universal 'bout 'em,...

I'm guessin' ya need to pull what's there, 'n then try to match it, or build a new 1.....

JustPhish

Cadet

Nope,.... Nothin' universal 'bout 'em,...

I'm guessin' ya need to pull what's there, 'n then try to match it, or build a new 1.....

Yuck. Although I suppose getting a length of bar and then just drilling it to take a bolt through either side to hold it into the tiller arms wouldn't be the hardest thing to do. Just a matter of making sure I get the right length.

Bondo

Staff member

Yuck. Although I suppose getting a length of bar and then just drilling it to take a bolt through either side to hold it into the tiller arms wouldn't be the hardest thing to do. Just a matter of making sure I get the right length.

Ayuh,.... Generally speakin',...
They have to have Adjustability built into 'em, so's ya can adjust the toe-in/ toe-out of the rudders/ drives....

JustPhish

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Generally speakin',...
They have to have Adjustability built into 'em, so's ya can adjust the toe-in/ toe-out of the rudders/ drives....

The one there now has nothing there for adjusting. I'm figuring as long as I make it the exact size of what it was that I should be pretty good with the rudder alignment. Gonna be a huge pita to get that rusted out piece from inside the tiller arm. I should probably just buy a new tiller arm too.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Got any pictures,..?? Yer probably gotta figure out what's too rusted, 'n where to try to take it apart...

If ya gotta build a new 1, why not do it right, 'n adjustable,..??