1986 Bayliner Ciera 2450 Anchor Windlass

_CanAsian_

Cadet
Hey Im looking for a windlass or whatever it is that people have on the front of their boats to anchor. I have a 1986 24 foot bayliner ciera 2450. What are my best options for my boat? Not really looking to spend too much would love to drop and pull up my anchor at the press of a button. Sorry new to boating and forums lol. Last year i bought a boat and love it and plan on boating for the rest of my life.

:canada::fish2:BoatLife:fish2::canada:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: 1986 Bayliner Ciera 2450 Anchor Windlass

Nothing is completely automatic. Winches and windlasses can jam. I have a windlass- my wife is ALWAYS on the bow to clear any jams (they happen) when we retrieve the anchor. That said, you need to do some basic research.

There are 2 types of anchor retrieval devices- winches and windlasses. A winch rolls the anchor rode onto a drum, like the winch on a boat trailer. A winch sits entirely above the deck.

A windlass uses a 'gypsy' (toothed wheel) to grab/pull and lead the rode through a hole in the deck, where it then drops below deck to a storage locker. 2 general types- vertical gypsy (mostly below deck) and horizontal gypsy (mostly above deck). A vertical gypsy windlass is a cleaner install and requires much more prep work. Both types require at least 18" of free fall space below the deck for the rode to drop into. If you use a combination of rope and chain, you need a windlass with the correct gypsy installed, special chain, and the chain needs to be attached directly to the anchor rope with a chain splice- no shackles or thimbles allowed.

Cheaper of the 2 types will be a winch, and you MIGHT be able to find one suitable for your boat, but I'm not sure. As you get up in weight (mid-20' range and above), windlasses are the norm. Why? Because the thickness of your rode (at least 3/8" for your boat) along with rode length starts to require too large a drum. A friend with a 25' Larson has been using a Powerwinch winch for many years, but I don't know what their current models are. His is the biggest boat I've seen with a winch.

Read through this recent thread on the subject:

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topics-questions-not-engine-topics/electric-anchor-winch-591939.html?

My .02