Electric anchor winch?

pcrg28328

Seaman
I have a 21' Stingray Cuddy. It only came with a manual anchor lock like this one: http://www.wholesalemarine.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/S-D-328040-1_med.jpg

I have never used one and to be quite honest, climbing up and through the glass just to set and retrieve anchor is a real pain. I have been doing it from the stern but that is not always optimal. Do you guys think this auto winch will work for my situation as I do not want to cut a hole in my cuddy just to install a windlass:
http://image.become.com/imageserver/s0/1270704650-175-175-5-32-0-fbw0-fbh0/trac-outdoor-products-t1010345sw-big-water-45-salt-water.jpg.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Electric anchor winch?

I don't know where you live and boat, but anchoring from the stern is usually a bad idea. . All in all, an electric winch is probably a worthwhile additionfor you. Just be aware they can jam. If you boat solo I'd suggest that you mount a switch at the bow, too, for those times when you need to crawl up there anyway.

My .02

tpenfield

Staff member

The question is if it will take any amount of chain, or is it only meant for line. If it won't take chain, then not a good thing or your anchor line. . .

JoLin

Vice Admiral

The question is if it will take any amount of chain, or is it only meant for line. If it won't take chain, then not a good thing or your anchor line. . .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure a winch doesn't care what's being wound onto the drum. A windlass, on the other hand, needs to be fitted with the correct type of gypsy to accept chain.

pcrg28328

Seaman

I usually boat inshore out of Carolina beach ICW. I normally stay within 5 miles or so. My my choice is to either cut a hole in my cabin and destroy what little headroom we have to install a rope hangar. or use a cheap alternative such as the
TRAC OUTDOOR PRODUCTS
Big Water 45 Saltwater Series Electric Anchor Winch, here are the specs:

Style: Horizontal
Boat Length: To 24'
Rode Type: Rope
Rode Size: 100' of 3/16" pre-wound braided anchor rope
Speed Up/Min.: 70' (no load)
Speed Down/Min.: Free fall
Maximum Pull: 100lb.
Draw: 15A @ 12V
Case Material: ABS Plastic with added UV inhibitors; Steel frame with 3-step corrosion protection; 316 stainless steel hardware
Dimensions: Winch: 5 3/4"H x 8 5/16"W x 10 1/8"L; Davit: 5"H x 3 1/2"W x 6"L
Warranty: Two years

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Sorry, not familiar with the brand. I'm struck (negatively) by the fact that they advertise it for a boat up to 24', then limit capacity to a piddling 100' of THREE-SIXTEENTHs inch rode and 100 lbs. of pull?? If that thing'll handle a 24' boat, I'm John Paul Jones.

You'd want to use 3/8" anchor rode on your 21'er, so that capacity rating doesn't make any sense for you. Take a look at the Powerwinch line- a friend has had one on his 25' Larson for about 20 years.

UncleWillie

Captain

If you intend to drop a small anchor in calm waters to hold a fishing spot then that electric winch will do the job.

You will still need to be prepared to drop a full size anchor with 100+ feet of full strength rope from the bow.
The ICW can kick up some seas and if/when you really need an anchor to save your behind, that winch and the 3/16, 100lb line is not going to keep you in place.

Add the electric winch if you desire, but do NOT use it as a replacement for a proper one.

pcrg28328

Seaman

Ok so I have decided to cut a hole in my hull for a new winch. In the recessed area I will add an anchor lock. But i need to know what to use for a rope locker inside my cuddy. here are the approximate locations. What can I use for this to hold 200' of 3/8 triple braid? I suppose i will use #8 ss screws and screw it up to the roof of the cuddy, it can not leak inside from the wet line so what do I use?
here is the link to the pic if it's too small: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/svc210.jpg/
svc210.jpg

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Hate to throw cold water on your idea, but if installing a windlass, you'll need at least 18" of vertical 'free fall' space for the rode, or it won't drop down into the locker. Why did you abandon the winch idea?

It'd be a shame if the, um, young lady on the v-berth had to move :)