Breaking wave (amazing!)...

saumon

Lieutenant
I know it's on "another" forum and not sure if it's allowed (fixed that - QC, now it's here) but this is simply _______________ (choose your adjective, as I'm speechless).

A boat over $900k with triple 700's...yep, you read it right, almost a million $$$ and more than 2000hp. That's the proof that common sense cannot be bought.

301128d1360120399-pictures-damage-donzi-43zr-hit-huge-wave-california-image.jpg

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Breaking wave (amazing!)...

Why the hell is he in the surf zone?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

because he is to stupid to have that much money...

Hopefully he doesn't get anyone killed

QC

Supreme Mariner

What it TOTALLY illustrates to me is the danger of crossing steep wakes, and waves at a 90 degree angle. Look at it again and imagine if she had gone over at a 45 degree angle. The operator panicked and also didn't know. The solution is to run at a 45 degree angle up and over. She coulda done that all day long and not slammed. Not that you should plan on it, but if you ever get in that situation, 90 degrees is bad.

Edit: Probably belongs in SHTs, but leaving here for now. Very good safety info there.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

What it TOTALLY illustrates to me is the danger of crossing steep wakes, and waves at a 90 degree angle. Look at it again and imagine if she had gone over at a 45 degree angle. The operator panicked and also didn't know. The solution is to run at a 45 degree angle up and over. She coulda done that all day long and not slammed. Not that you should plan on it, but if you ever get in that situation, 90 degrees is bad.

He could have also just slowed down. Going over the wave at 90 deg and slow speed would have been ok. Going over the wave at 45 deg would have given quite a roll. Whether the roll would have been too much for the boat or not, it would have certainly felt uncomfortable and unnerving. Due to its shape most boats are more stable in pitch than roll.

BTW, you can see that the boat is dead in the water going over the second wave after the big jump.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

He forgot #1 rule when operating in the surf zone, allways keep an eye on the outside!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

BTW, you can see that the boat is dead in the water going over the second wave after the big jump.

Yes he is dead in the water but I think that is because he broke the boats back not because he had some sort of epiphany that he was doing it wrong, for some reason I am willing to bet that there was some alcohol involved, this just screams alcohol induced stupidity, he had plenty of boat to get himself out of this or maybe even not get himself into this in the first place.

I bet if your looking for this boat its in some boat graveyard now, what a shame looks like it was a beautiful ride

QC

Supreme Mariner

He could have also just slowed down. Going over the wave at 90 deg and slow speed would have been ok.
Yes, you can see the result of that on the last wave when off plane. But it's not always good though. He had plenty of power, but you can bring a lesser powered boat to her knees in that situation too. I don't have the experience to say absolutely, but my belief is when in doubt, 45 degrees regardless of speed.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes he is dead in the water but I think that is because he broke the boats back not because he had some sort of epiphany that he was doing it wrong,
And I think they were picking up the pieces of eachother. Look right as they go over, toward the port side slightly. One of the passengers almost got ejected. One, if not all of them, had to be seriously hurt :eek:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

WOW:jaw:

Oh well, she'll make a totally awesome donor boat!!!

:heh::heh::heh:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

She'll look real good under a D9... not really.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yes, you can see the result of that on the last wave when off plane. But it's not always good though. He had plenty of power, but you can bring a lesser powered boat to her knees in that situation too. I don't have the experience to say absolutely, but my belief is when in doubt, 45 degrees regardless of speed.

Quite often one can experience large roller's off the columbia bar and that high, but they are roller's with no break. It seems very apparent boater had never crossed a large wave...and yes 45 degree's or more would have been a good attack angle.

My first experince with such a event was with a few boater's here at i-boat's..Haunt and another who's name's eludes me now but it was crazy. This gentleman came down the river in a 17' boat 40-60 hp out board big grin and ready to go. Took off from bouy 10 and the water was like glass about a mile out here cam the roller's......the guy just hit them at about 20 mph at a 45 degree angle and rode over them like they were a big dirt hill. Haunt's next and the same thing..soo there i went...and its very intimidating after 3 set's i ducked in behind a freighter following him off the bar.

Going back in was much less intimidating you can actually get about half way up ride the wave in but you still have to cross the peak some time.....one just find's a low spot with no curl....I cannot imagine challengeing that straight on and charge it that boat probably fell 20-30'...:facepalm:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Ahh found a old pic...The Columbia River Jedi..and that days bounty...
Picture175.jpg

jkust

Rear Admiral

I saw the video yesterday but not the results. Damn that is a lot of damage.

southkogs

Staff member

And I think they were picking up the pieces of eachother. Look right as they go over, toward the port side slightly. One of the passengers almost got ejected. One, if not all of them, had to be seriously hurt :eek:
I think you're right. That dude was ejected ... he just landed back in the boat. That had to hurt bad.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Some YouTube comments:

"I actually know the owner and one one of the passengers. My buddy dislocated his hip and shoulder when the third passenger landed right on top of him."

"The boat was a 35ft Donzi boat, the hull did get damaged and there were some pretty serious injuries on board. The owner just put $500 of work into the boat. The boat stalled out for about 2 min after the jump, then jammed back into SF Bay. More videos here Avenue Multimedia"

The guy that took it's site: Avenue Multimedia Last one at bottom.

saumon

Lieutenant

Nothing structural, looks like cosmetic damages that can be buffed out with a good compound :lol:

QC

Supreme Mariner

The owner just put $500 of work into the boat.
This note cracks me up. Maybe he replaced a seat cushion. Cleat? Ice chest lid? A little bit of fuel? Gauge bezel? Throttle knob? Just trying to think of what you could get done on that boat for $500? Rookies!!! :facepalm:

Add two zeros and we might be close to the cost of the repair . . .

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Probabaly some serious testosterone poisonning involved as well. Excess alcohol in combination with excess testosterone is always a bad thing.

TerryMSU

Yes he is dead in the water but I think that is because he broke the boats back not because he had some sort of epiphany that he was doing it wrong, for some reason I am willing to bet that there was some alcohol involved, this just screams alcohol induced stupidity, he had plenty of boat to get himself out of this or maybe even not get himself into this in the first place.

I bet if your looking for this boat its in some boat graveyard now, what a shame looks like it was a beautiful ride

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The caption said 45' wave--not sure about that; what do you all think?

If you look at how he crosses the second, it proves QC's point about the 45* angle.

i suspect eh was running the beach to show off for the babes, found himself in the trough moving ashore, and panicked. he clearly di d not know how to handle the boat or worse, how the boat handles.

This is why I tell people, here and in RL, to get out in safe conditions and practice crossing big wakes (and other rough conditions) so you will have the confidence and skill to deal with it when you are caught by one you can't avoid.

Plus it's fun--reminds me of the summer days as a 14 year old sitting in the Whaler waiting for yacht and tug boat waves to jump....