• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking wave (amazing!)...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking wave (amazing!)...

I know it's on "another" forum and not sure if it's allowed (fixed that - QC, now it's here) but this is simply _______________ (choose your adjective, as I'm speechless).

A boat over $900k with triple 700's...yep, you read it right, almost a million $$$ and more than 2000hp. That's the proof that common sense cannot be bought.

1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 17 I
    2005 Evinrude E-Tec 90hp

Fishing isn't a matter of life and death.... It's much more important.

Re: Breaking wave (amazing!)...

Why the hell is he in the surf zone?

Comment

because he is to stupid to have that much money...

Hopefully he doesn't get anyone killed
      2000 Crownline 248 BR
      454 MPI Bravo III
      "Wet Lipps II"
      2006 Dodge CTD 3500 4X4 Bighorn Edition
      sigpic

Comment

What it TOTALLY illustrates to me is the danger of crossing steep wakes, and waves at a 90 degree angle. Look at it again and imagine if she had gone over at a 45 degree angle. The operator panicked and also didn't know. The solution is to run at a 45 degree angle up and over. She coulda done that all day long and not slammed. Not that you should plan on it, but if you ever get in that situation, 90 degrees is bad.

Edit: Probably belongs in SHTs, but leaving here for now. Very good safety info there.
        Keep the faith!!! We'll be back stronger than ever

Comment

Originally posted by QC View Post
          What it TOTALLY illustrates to me is the danger of crossing steep wakes, and waves at a 90 degree angle. Look at it again and imagine if she had gone over at a 45 degree angle. The operator panicked and also didn't know. The solution is to run at a 45 degree angle up and over. She coulda done that all day long and not slammed. Not that you should plan on it, but if you ever get in that situation, 90 degrees is bad.
          He could have also just slowed down. Going over the wave at 90 deg and slow speed would have been ok. Going over the wave at 45 deg would have given quite a roll. Whether the roll would have been too much for the boat or not, it would have certainly felt uncomfortable and unnerving. Due to its shape most boats are more stable in pitch than roll.

BTW, you can see that the boat is dead in the water going over the second wave after the big jump.

Comment

He forgot #1 rule when operating in the surf zone, allways keep an eye on the outside!

Comment

Originally posted by ssobol View Post
              BTW, you can see that the boat is dead in the water going over the second wave after the big jump.
              Yes he is dead in the water but I think that is because he broke the boats back not because he had some sort of epiphany that he was doing it wrong, for some reason I am willing to bet that there was some alcohol involved, this just screams alcohol induced stupidity, he had plenty of boat to get himself out of this or maybe even not get himself into this in the first place.

I bet if your looking for this boat its in some boat graveyard now, what a shame looks like it was a beautiful ride
              2000 Crownline 248 BR
              454 MPI Bravo III
              "Wet Lipps II"
              2006 Dodge CTD 3500 4X4 Bighorn Edition
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ssobol View Post
                He could have also just slowed down. Going over the wave at 90 deg and slow speed would have been ok.
                Yes, you can see the result of that on the last wave when off plane. But it's not always good though. He had plenty of power, but you can bring a lesser powered boat to her knees in that situation too. I don't have the experience to say absolutely, but my belief is when in doubt, 45 degrees regardless of speed.

Comment

Originally posted by LippCJ7 View Post
                  Yes he is dead in the water but I think that is because he broke the boats back not because he had some sort of epiphany that he was doing it wrong,
                  And I think they were picking up the pieces of eachother. Look right as they go over, toward the port side slightly. One of the passengers almost got ejected. One, if not all of them, had to be seriously hurt

Comment

WOW

Oh well, she'll make a totally awesome donor boat!!!

1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild
                    1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild
                    1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild
                    1980 16' Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild (swapped)
                    1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild (sold)
                    1970's 12' Starcraft Sea Scamp
                    Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations

Comment

She'll look real good under a D9... not really.
                      I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Comment

Yes, you can see the result of that on the last wave when off plane. But it's not always good though. He had plenty of power, but you can bring a lesser powered boat to her knees in that situation too. I don't have the experience to say absolutely, but my belief is when in doubt, 45 degrees regardless of speed.
                        Quite often one can experience large roller's off the columbia bar and that high, but they are roller's with no break. It seems very apparent boater had never crossed a large wave...and yes 45 degree's or more would have been a good attack angle.

My first experince with such a event was with a few boater's here at i-boat's..Haunt and another who's name's eludes me now but it was crazy. This gentleman came down the river in a 17' boat 40-60 hp out board big grin and ready to go. Took off from bouy 10 and the water was like glass about a mile out here cam the roller's......the guy just hit them at about 20 mph at a 45 degree angle and rode over them like they were a big dirt hill. Haunt's next and the same thing..soo there i went...and its very intimidating after 3 set's i ducked in behind a freighter following him off the bar.

Going back in was much less intimidating you can actually get about half way up ride the wave in but you still have to cross the peak some time.....one just find's a low spot with no curl....I cannot imagine challengeing that straight on and charge it that boat probably fell 20-30'...
                        Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

Speed is how fast you hit the wall
                        Torque is how far you move the wall"

Comment

Ahh found a old pic...The Columbia River Jedi..and that days bounty...
                          Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

Speed is how fast you hit the wall
                          Torque is how far you move the wall"

Comment

I saw the video yesterday but not the results. Damn that is a lot of damage.
                            2003 Chaparral 183SS

Comment

And I think they were picking up the pieces of eachother. Look right as they go over, toward the port side slightly. One of the passengers almost got ejected. One, if not all of them, had to be seriously hurt
                              I think you're right. That dude was ejected ... he just landed back in the boat. That had to hurt bad.
                              ---------

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Comment

Working...
                              X