Cleaning non skid

agallant80

Commander
Anyone have any advice on cleaning the nonskid on boats? Mine is molded in to the floor and is white with a texture. It makes it very difficult to clean. Pressure washer at the car wash works OK but not great. I am open to ideas.

64osby

Admiral
Re: Cleaning non skid

images

Sorry couldn't resist, first thing that came to me.

No help on the solution, hopefully someone here can assist.

aspeck

Staff member

Scrub brush and a strong cleaner. If that doesn't work, then bleach and scrub brush. Have never found an easy way ...

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

A brush as mentioned already and I always had good luck with "soft scrub" bathroom cleaner.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Sure...
Take a piece of chalk, soak the surface with a saltwater/soap mix, draw a line on the non-skid, then get down on your stomach and blow the line(s)dry while being hit on the "backside" with a saltwater soaked 18" piece of firehose. At least that's how I had to do it during my "Shellback" initiation!:pirate: Lol!

Other than that...a good stiff corn brush/broom will do it too!

Don't get TOO aggressive, you don't want to errode the coarse structure too much.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I like a soft brush, so it can get into all the non-skid areas, and brush the mud out.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I use Mary Kate Non-skid cleaner with a deck brush. Followup with Woodie wax

M-K2132_F.jpg

Liberal use of the washdown during the day minimizes the need to clean the deck.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The guys at the used boat yard told me dish detergent plus bleach, even on boats left under trees for years. Let it sit and work; the detergent breaks up the dirt and the bubbles lift it. Then scrub with a good stiff brush. Power washing is good, too; car wash PW's aren't that strong for the tough jobs.

Patience and elbow grease, in harmony.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Although I have not had a chance to yet try it first hand, I have heard on good authority that Starbrite non-skid cleaner works wonders:

Amazon.com: Starbrite Non-skid Deck Cleaner / Protector: Sports & Outdoors

I started using it 2 years ago. It seems to afford some protection for the deck- keeps it from getting as dirty as it used to, and the gunk washes off easier. There's a bleaching agent in it that helps, too. A bottle of it gives me 2-3 good cleanings on my 27. I use a long-handled scrub brush and don't need to get on hands and knees. I don't use anything else anymore.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If you need scrub brushes, buffing pads and elbow grease your using the wrong product for the job.

Thalasso

Commander

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Water and Cleanser with Bleach | Soft Scrub? with a combo of stiff and soft brushes works well.

I will Personaly Verify that you can save some cash doing this to the bottom of your gelled boat when hauled out for the season.

And its not going to melt the concrete.

Acid Can be fast .. sometimes that does not work for some reason.

Use the SC with water.

Decks can be cleaned very well .. just make sure you rinse your hull or water drain offs so there is no consitration down your sides.

YD.