Probably Stupid Question on Anchor Rigging & Deck Hardware

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a 28' Cabrio 280 that I plan to do some overnighting with on the hook. When I purchased the boat this last fall, the anchor was rigged without a chain, only the rode. It was retained by cleeting the rode at the bow cleat in the picture, and the bitter end was stuffed down the deck pipe.

Issue is, now that i've got another screw-shackel and anchor chain on it, A) I'm not sure how to retain the anchor, as I obviously can't cleat the chain.

B) The screw shackel and chain both are too large to fit through the 1" opening in the deck pipe. I'd like to upgrade the deck rather than downgrade the ground tackel, but all the deck pipes I see online seem to be for rope, with a 1" opening.

The current setup isn't clean, but is temporarily functional (shown in the link below). Advise / suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/n915aa/20121027_103419.jpg

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Probably Stupid Question on Anchor Rigging & Deck Hardware

Why can't you cleat the chain?

QC

Supreme Mariner

My first reaction is that's not enough chain to do anything anyway . . . :( Not trying to be a party pooper, but I'd want 20 ft. of galvanized. I think the covered chain makes cleating more difficult, if not impossible, as it's too "stiff".

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

A couple of suggestions:

get a real chain and more of it (as suggested). While I disagree with this rule for small recreational boating, they say have the length of the boat in chain. That may be a good idea for a boat your size that you plan to overnight on. Anyway, at least 10 feet.

Connect the chain to the line with a link of chain so it can go down the hole, rather than a shackle that's too big.

Tie off your shackles.

I assume you can get the end of the line (eye) through the hole? If not you may have to bend or reduce the size of the sleeve inside the eye (forgot its real name sorry). Or just replace that one piece of hardware with a larger opening--that won't be difficult.

Or modify that round hatch for a chain locker?

I see you have a line holding the anchor in place. When you cleat a line (cleat not cleet) you need no more than two wraps across the top (arms) of the cleat, each one locked. it;s the same knot as a clove hitch. Any more wraps are unnecessary and are a pain to deal with. for that application I'd use a very short line, maybe just tie it off with a bowline through the eye of the cleat, under the arms, so you still have the use of that cleat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

And it's not a stupid question. I used to think there was no such thing, until joining these forums, but yours is a good question.

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the pointers guys.

So I'll replace the nice (expensive) coated chain with a uncoated segment of greater length, run that back to the cleat, cleat it off when I need to retain the anchor, and attach it to the rode via another link, rather than screw shackle, so the whole shebang can fit down the deck pipe.

The only remaining question I have, is how to go about attaching it with a link of chain. Do you just slice an existing link, bend and re-bend?

Also, I agree Cook that over-wrapping the cleat is unnecessary and obnoxious, but in this case I had a bit of slack and nowhere to put it, so I took that route to tidy up the bow a bit.

tpenfield

Staff member

36207_2.gif

The oblong deck pipes would be better for chain

15 ft (or so) of anchor chain

and an anchor pin to hold the anchor/chain taut to the bow roller when not in use.

47956_0.jpg

It would be best if the deck pipe could be along the centerline of the boat, rather than off to the side.

Just my ideas . . .

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

You can also do a rope to chain splice without the shackle. It's much neater (and a requirement for a windlass used with a rope and chain rode, so pretty common). Rope To Chain Splice - YouTube

rbh

Fleet Admiral

First, as was said, not enough chain for the size of boat you have, 20-30 feet 3/8 galvinized.
You could just tie a chunk of rope off on the anchor ring and tieit back with that.
What is the round 4-6 inch round hatch, can that the anchor rode locker with a little modification?

UncleWillie

Captain

You can also do a rope to chain splice without the shackle. It's much neater (and a requirement for a windlass used with a rope and chain rode, so pretty common). Rope To Chain Splice - YouTube

Agreed! Save the hardware and do it directly.

Another Chain Splice Video that may be easier to see how it is done.

The first time you try splicing it looks like something only a master shipwright can possibly do.
Once you do one, you see how easy it really is.
Plus, Pride in your own work ... Priceless!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't cleat the chain; drop it in the hole. Then use a short line with a clip to secure the anchor, if not the pin as suggested

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

The only remaining question I have, is how to go about attaching it with a link of chain. Do you just slice an existing link, bend and re-bend?

Steel-Quick-Repair-Chain-Link_large.jpg

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome, that’s what I'll do then. Thanks again crew! Also, I don't have the faintest what that access hatch is for... I assume it’s access to the anchor locker, but I'll pop it open when I'm at the marina this weekend and take a gander.

Thanks!, if any of you are in Green Bay area, I owe you a beer!

(P.S, is it summer yet?)