Seadek Faux Teak

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anybody have experience with the Seadek faux teak products? I was thinking about putting it on my swim platform to make it a little more comfortable for my little guys climbing up on, and for more cushion sitting on it. I ordered a few samples, came within a matter of days, and looks like quality stuff. I was just wondering if anybody can speak on it's durability/longevity, and just their other general impressions of it. Cobalt does have a similar product that they offer and can be ordered, but anything with that Cobalt wreath on it is super pricey.

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Seadek Faux Teak

Tons of satisfied users on the Chaparral Owners Club forum. On my to do list in the spring.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I looked into this product a few months ago.

From I understand you have to buy a pattern kit ( some kinda mylar or something ) .. make your pattern .. ship it to them .. they send you the part.

Because its a sticky back foam product I dont know how well it would bond to certain types of non-skid.

Be aware that the foam can be torn if your not careful.

YD.

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the template kit. They have quite a few boats listed already, just not mine. I suspect they add the boat that you send a template in for to their list so it's there for the next guy already. I talked to the guy that does all the work on my boat and he said that to do the best job, they would sand down the non skid for better adhesion. If I don't like it in the future, can always redo the non-skid.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

I really like the look of SeaDek but the $$$ is outrageous for what ammounts to a glorified excercise mat. If it was reasonable I would do my whole cockpit.

LK

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I looked into this product a few months ago.

From I understand you have to buy a pattern kit ( some kinda mylar or something ) .. make your pattern .. ship it to them .. they send you the part.

Correct. Unless you have a common boat, in which case they may already have the pattern for your swim platform at least

Because its a sticky back foam product I dont know how well it would bond to certain types of non-skid.

Be aware that the foam can be torn if your not careful.

YD.

It sticks extremely well, even on nonskid... Its what its made to do, really, since most of their products are intended for swim platforms which are usually non-skid textured. The adhesive 3M PSA I believe. All you do is prep with acetone or similar to remove any wax or residue, and stick it on. Best to do it when the temps are above 70. As for the foam tearing, I highly doubt it. This stuff is very dense and the minimum thickness is 5mm. My swim platform is 8mm, my cockpit pads 5mm, and the foredeck nonskid mats also 8mm. You would have to be deliberately trying to rip it to inflict any damage unless you were dealing with a very narrow section of mat.

I love SeaDek, my whole boat is SeaDek'ed, and if I had any non-SeaDek'ed areas left to cover with SeaDek, I would :) There are pictures of my swim platform and cockpit pads in my boat's thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...s/its-here-my-2012-stingray-195cx-551258.html

No pics of the foredeck pads as they haven't been installed yet.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the template kit. They have quite a few boats listed already, just not mine. I suspect they add the boat that you send a template in for to their list so it's there for the next guy already. I talked to the guy that does all the work on my boat and he said that to do the best job, they would sand down the non skid for better adhesion. If I don't like it in the future, can always redo the non-skid.

Thats what I was going to do if this guy wanted to use the product.

It sticks extremely well, even on nonskid... Its what its made to do, really, since most of their products are intended for swim platforms which are usually non-skid textured. The adhesive 3M PSA I believe. All you do is prep with acetone or similar to remove any wax or residue, and stick it on.

I was not worried about it sticking .. it was how long would it stick :) .

Knowing that there is NO warranty for their PSA products you should make sure you have the best surface for it to bond to.

Just to let you know .. Acetone will not remove wax. You need a wax remover.

I personally like the looks and feel of seadek. If it bonds like you suggest and as long as they say ( 5-7 years ) then this is a good product for the price IMHO. I know that products like Flexiteak and nuteak is friggin expensive .. and gets hotter then the sun.

YD.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was not worried about it sticking .. it was how long would it stick :) .

Knowing that there is NO warranty for their PSA products you should make sure you have the best surface for it to bond to.

Yeah, I don't have any idea how it will last. The swim platform pad went on first on my boat and was used pretty much all of last season. Looking at it this winter there were no spots that were lifting. Still, thats just one year. Anyway, Seadek sells PSA repair material if you end up having to redo it. I wouldn't want to damage the surface underneath the seadek by sanding, but thats just me.

Just to let you know .. Acetone will not remove wax. You need a wax remover.

I was writing that post from memory.. I'm on the other side of the world from my boat and the printed instructions that came with all my seadek pads. But checking on their website, looks like they recommend you clean with a green scratch pad and and glass cleaner, and if you have any existing grease or adhesive to use mineral spirits. After reading that, I do remember using glass cleaner prior to application.

http://www.seadek.com/documents/SeaDek_Surface_Prep.pdf

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

spoilsofwar;4092413. I wouldn't want to damage the surface underneath the seadek by sanding said:
I hope you understand that water is going to get to the surface underneath the product. Oh .. and its going to stay there for its lifetime.

Good concept .. but a bad application IMHO ..

You ever leave cushions on deck when your boat get wrapped ? .. Do you consider mildew or other parameters...

Your deck will rot from the outside in.

Just Saying .. Bye bye geldcoat decks hello blisters.

Am I wrong ?

Peace.

YD.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hope you understand that water is going to get to the surface underneath the product. Oh .. and its going to stay there for its lifetime.

Good concept .. but a bad application IMHO ..

You ever leave cushions on deck when your boat get wrapped ? .. Do you consider mildew or other parameters...

Your deck will rot from the outside in.

Just Saying .. Bye bye geldcoat decks hello blisters.

Am I wrong ?

Peace.

YD.

Have yet to hear of such a thing happening... This is not a new concept at all. PWC's have been attaching foam pads to fiberglass footwells since the 80's. Look up a product called hydroturf. Those are certainly wetter conditions then my cockpit. If enough water was getting under them to be destroying the underlying surface, I would expect the adhesive would long have failed... Sorry, not buying it.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope you understand that water is going to get to the surface underneath the product. ...

Running a bead of caulk around the perimeter will stop water incursion. The closed-cell EVA itself is not going to let water through.

I have a majority of the cockpit of my 22' sportdeck done in a competing but similar product and really like it. Longevity is my big concern as removing the stuff will be a serious PITA when that day comes.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I see no mention if UV inhibitor in the product. If it is anything like the faux teak they used on my toes rails, you could not pay me to install the stuff. The stuff faded out and looked horrible in 5 years.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I see no mention if UV inhibitor in the product. If it is anything like the faux teak they used on my toes rails, you could not pay me to install the stuff. The stuff faded out and looked horrible in 5 years.

I would not use a dark color or patterned material (like the faux teak) if the boat was to be kept uncovered or in the water. It has a 36 month material and workmanship warrenty; doesnt say if that covers fade or not. If you use a light grey or white, then it probably makes little difference. The material may get hard or brittle over a long enough timeline but nothing lasts forever. Seadek does say the pads will last longer if you keep it covered, which indicates it is subject to degradation from UV.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

Have any of you been to a boat show or a boat dealership lately? Just about every new ski boat had Sea Dek on the swim and extended swim platforms and with every color and pattern under the sun.
I just ordered mine today. I went with the Faux Teak (mocha over black). Figured it would look better with the navy on my boat.

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Have yet to hear of such a thing happening... This is not a new concept at all. PWC's have been attaching foam pads to fiberglass footwells since the 80's. Look up a product called hydroturf. Those are certainly wetter conditions then my cockpit. If enough water was getting under them to be destroying the underlying surface, I would expect the adhesive would long have failed... Sorry, not buying it.

All I am saying is that you apply a sticky backed surface to a water environment .. its gonna fail. H20 will intrude.

How much it will fail is dependent on how well it was installed ( which in this case is 0 guarantee for installs ) .

Im not talking about footwells .. Im not talking about any other products. You would expect the Adhesive would last a long time. But They do not warrant Anything on the Install. Better Install it Right or your boned kinda thing ? ..

Running a bead of caulk around the perimeter will stop water incursion. The closed-cell EVA itself is not going to let water through.

I have a majority of the cockpit of my 22' sportdeck done in a competing but similar product and really like it. Longevity is my big concern as removing the stuff will be a serious PITA when that day comes.

That running of the caulk is not going to stop water standing .. your foam will stop water from going deep. It will NOT stop it.

Have any of you been to a boat show or a boat dealership lately? Just about every new ski boat had Sea Dek on the swim and extended swim platforms and with every color and pattern under the sun.
I just ordered mine today. I went with the Faux Teak (mocha over black). Figured it would look better with the navy on my boat.

Like I said .. its a good product if its going to be warranted and followed up in Customer Service ..

YD.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All I am saying is that you apply a sticky backed surface to a water environment .. its gonna fail. H20 will intrude.

How much it will fail is dependent on how well it was installed ( which in this case is 0 guarantee for installs ) .

Im not talking about footwells .. Im not talking about any other products. You would expect the Adhesive would last a long time. But They do not warrant Anything on the Install. Better Install it Right or your boned kinda thing ? ..

Brother, I am saying the same thing. Hydroturf is the same thing as seadek in different colors and with a different name. It is a foam mat attached with either PSA or cement. My point about PWC footwells is that they are usually full of water when the ski is in use... That is a more extreme environment then my swim platform, my cockpit, and certainly my boat's foredeck. If a foam mat stuck to textured fiberglass (which every pwc footwell I've ever seen was) can last a reasonable amount of time under those conditions it can last on my boat a reasonable amount of time. Yes, we can agree on a long enough timeline almost any adhesive attached item will fail.

I had the same set of hydroturf pads on a '90 Sea-Doo SP for something like seven years of riding. If I dug through my old man's garage and looked for that old hunk of junk ski I bet those hydroturf pads are still stuck in those footwells just fine.

We can agree to disagree, but I'm not gonna agree with calling out Seadek for not warrantying a product's longevity that by your own admission depends on how good a job the end user does installing it. That would just be bad business.

april15th

Recruit

I need to replace the teak transom on our boat. I dont want to go with real wood again (a true pita) but I found AirTeak.com which seems to have a great US made product. Has anyone worked with them? Any feedback?

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I need to replace the teak transom on our boat. I dont want to go with real wood again (a true pita) but I found AirTeak.com which seems to have a great US made product. Has anyone worked with them? Any feedback?

Extremely Hot in the sun, and stains easily.