Hydraulic Steering froze solid

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
Hopefully this is the right section.

I just picked this up, the motor is a 71 merc 135.
I noticed the steering was locked up. I removed the linkage and the motor swung no problem.

As you will see in the pic, theres a lot of built up nasty gunk on what I will call the "piston"
It sat outside for a few years.

What do I need to do to get this fixed? If i loosen the "collar" (not the silver big nut) that I have circled, Do I need to worry about any fluid coming out? Any help is much appreciated. I know nothing about this steering stuff.

steering.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hydraulic Steering froze solid

Are you sure it's hydraulic? looks like a cable to me.... if that's the case you just need a new cable

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

i guess i dont know for sure. heres a pic of the other side
2013-01-28%2022.41.30.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yep that's just a cable

start pullin stuff apart till you have the cable on the ground and then measure for a new one OR better yet the part number may be on it.

You MAY find that you need to remove the engine or at least move it to the left to get the cable free from it.

The cable will be much more difficult to remove if you can't crank the wheel to the left to shorten it.

after you remove the tie rod in your first pic (9/16 nut) then you will need to back off the long silver nut (part of the steering cable) in your second pic.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

well, i feel like an idiot. haha.

How do I go about take it apart to clean it?

I guess since I dont have to worry about fluid, I can just start taking stuff apart. lol

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

As smoke said, Don't look hydraulic . disconnect the thin link from engine to the end of tube large nut is on . Next spray large tube & nut with pb blaster or WD 40 or some such. On other side of tube is another nut, disconnect it also. Pull or hammer tube out of yoke. Then test steering wheel and decide if you can lubricate and make it work or get a new steering cable.

Lone Duck

whoops! rtpassini beat me to it and explained it better than I.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: NOT SO Hydraulic Steering froze solid

Re: NOT SO Hydraulic Steering froze solid

well, i feel like an idiot. haha.

How do I go about take it apart to clean it?

I guess since I dont have to worry about fluid, I can just start taking stuff apart. lol

ur not an idiot ... just a novice... we ALL have to start there...... I edited my post while you were typing with further instructions

JoLin

Vice Admiral

As smoke said, Don't look hydraulic . disconnect the thin link from engine to the end of tube large nut is on . Next spray large tube & nut with pb blaster or WD 40 or some such. On other side of tube is another nut, disconnect it also. Pull or hammer tube out of yoke. Then test steering wheel and decide if you can lubricate and make it work or get a new steering cable.

I suppose lubing is worth a try, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. Steering cables freeze up because the wire cable corrodes inside the sheath. Once that happens, if you manage to free it up (I couldn't on my 16') you'll have to do it again periodically. I'd also be concerned about the cable being weakened from the corrosion. A 135 generates a lot of torque.

My .02

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

From the looks of your first picture, I would say the cable end is corrosed into the tube throught the motor.
In the picture below, I painted the steering cable parts green, and the link that connects the motor to the cable blue.
Disconnect the link arm (Blue) from the steering cable end (green) and with the cable nut loose, drive the cable out of the pivot tube through the motor. DO NOT use a steel punch. A wood dowel rod should work fine.

attachment.php

What happens is corrosion builds up between the stainless steel cable end and the aluminum pivot tube. and causes your steering to bind.
Just clean all the corrosion out of the tube, and off the cable end. Put some anti corrosion grease on the cable and in the tube and put it back together and it should move easily again.

Lone Duck

from the looks of your first picture, i would say the cable end is corrosed into the tube throught the motor.
In the picture below, i painted the steering cable parts green, and the link that connects the motor to the cable blue.
Disconnect the link arm (blue) from the steering cable end (green) and with the cable nut loose, drive the cable out of the pivot tube through the motor. Do not use a steel punch. A wood dowel rod should work fine.

attachment.php

what happens is corrosion builds up between the stainless steel cable end and the aluminum pivot tube. And causes your steering to bind.
Just clean all the corrosion out of the tube, and off the cable end. Put some anti corrosion grease on the cable and in the tube and put it back together and it should move easily again.
yup!

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, it probably just needs cleaning. I redecked a pontoon once that I thought I needed a new cable, after disconnecting it and cleaning it up it worked fine. I think I used an old 12 ga. cleaning brush to clean out the inside of the tube.

NYBo

Admiral

Don is right about the first step: Determine if the rod is frozen inside the tilt tube.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

Awesome. Thats perfect.

SCCATFISH, I was actually thinking the same thing with using a 12 ga. brush (got plenty laying around). haha

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If the steering rod is corroded into the tilt tube, use a pipe wrench to rock it bow to stern. If it moves at all, you can eventually free it up with applications of penetrating oil and rags to wipe off the dirt and corrosion. Heat can loosen it up as well, just don't blow yourself up as there can be gasoline in the area.

hotfish

Cadet

Agreed......... i have had to do this twice, use a hammer to get it unstuck or it will break then just remove if it breaks and replace. one other thing that i have learned is that once it is free every once and a while i extend cable all the way and spray it up with MP made by Amsoil or WD40 what ever you got. have not had any issues for the last 3 years.

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

Seeing the snow and ice in the splashwell... it might just be frozen.
Just a little conensation will jam the cable solid but come summer time it will slide like butter.
Mine's been like that for a couple of years now.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Just to be clear. After the cable end has been loosened and cleaned, it needs to be lubricated at least annually. Use a good marine grease. WD-40 will just wash off.

Lone Duck

just to be clear. After the cable end has been loosened and cleaned, it needs to be lubricated at least annually. Use a good marine grease. Wd-40 will just wash off.

yup!