1979 arrow glass question

joshreno89

Cadet
im brand new to the forum i just recently traded for 1979 arrow glass boat with a 115 johnson i several questions first i have is how do i know what model arrowglass boeat i like cheatah or bow rider ill have some pics up today

joshreno89

Cadet
Re: 1979 arrow glass question

here are some pics can any one help and is there alot of arrow glass boats out therejosh boat 1.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

Welcome aboard:

Couple of places to look. Try HERE and HERE. Won't be a lot of help, but will give you a push. I'm thinkin' you've got a Scorpion or Stingray, but that's based strictly on length guess. You should have a HIN on the back of the transom below the rub rail. That might help ... but you already know the manufacturer, so maybe not.

Is there a capacity plate on the boat? Sometimes they have the model listed on 'em.

joshreno89

Cadet

i have the vin it didnt tell me alot i think my transom is starting to maybe get week i dont know how to tell for sure i see cracks in the gel coat not big none in the glass that i can tell but the gel coat on the top is in bad shape

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

To be honest, it looks like your whole boat may be weak and needs to be looked at carefully.

Check your transom by drilling into it down low on the inside of the boat, one hole on each side down low and one in the center low too.

Are there any soft spots in the decking? That carpet has seen better day, it would be good to remove it and examine the plywood underneath it... it may be rotten.

How does the center part of the windshield fit when you close it? Is there mismatches or big gaps anywhere?

These are things to check with an old boat like that.

southkogs

Staff member

I think you'll be able to tell without drilling into the transom.

Start by checking for weak spots in the floor. Yours looks like it was patched and then reinforced for those pedestal seats. If it's soft - ya' got trouble

Pull a screw on your your swim ladder where it screws into the transom ... if the wood is wet you know the transom is bad. You can also lower that out board and kinda' bounce on it a little. See if the transom flexes when you pull on it.

Might also just put the nose up in the air and just see if water drains out the stern (make sure the plug is out).

Didja' just get this boat or have you had it a while?

joshreno89

Cadet

i have had the boat three years had it in the water once the guy i got it from put all new marine grade ply wood flooring (my father in-law helped the guy) all new carpet its filithy now i do notice the transom does flex a lil but i also notcied that a possible brace missing ill take some pics today id like to get one more summer out of it and then re-do the boat the completly the seats he just put on playwood to move around he fished alot out of it

southkogs

Staff member

... sounds like your floor at least, probably transom and likely a bunch of your stringers are a mess.

joshreno89

Cadet

i had a guy come look at it and he said it was ok but idk i love the boat and im kinda new to working on boats ive had several cars and tractors ive built and toyed with i found another boat that i like alot and is more what i want but i only seen front pics and some interior shots its 19 foot bayliner cuddie cabin which what i really want more for the family

southkogs

Staff member

look around the restoration forums a little bit and see what kind of things go into rebuilding a glass boat. That might help you see some of what to look for.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Arrow Glass was a common boat around here at the time along with Invader and some others, like Razorback and Ranger, Quachita, 3 brands from Arkansas. Chrysler was in the act too but that was a very light, thin hulled contraption that they produced in Plano, TX. and I had a new '71 model of that....called a Sport Fury; took me one season to divest myself of that thing....you look at it crosseyed and punch a hole in the thing. Twas the day of the trihull and everybody got in the act. Most looked like the others and probably were built the same; lots of wood in stringers, transom, and deck and yeah verily it was "encased" but that was on the drawing, just like your plans for a concrete slab. Looks good on paper but in reality it can be a lot different and apparently was due to all the restorations required on boats of that era.

The Johnnyrude you have was a later version of the first downsized V4 with upgrades OMC could use off their Loop charged 3 cyls. born in '69 as I recall (Triumph 55 hp was the Rude version) and the big V engine redesign emerged in 1971 as a 100 and 115. In '72 it was the 125 which I bought new and later went to a 135 with the big black billboard decal with wild colors. Somewhere after that they prop rated, rather than power head rated as mine was and it wound up the white colored 115. Fine engines and a lot more fuel efficient than the original OMC V Fat 50 and it's successors up to the 1971 redesign. I had mine for 7 years and had to replace absolutely nothing on the engine give a SST prop rather than the orig. alum. However it was not Loop Charged and couldn't get the extra performance out of a drop of gas.

Hope you enjoy it.

Mark