Vintage Alumacraft or Crestliner?

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I now own a 1956 15' Alumacraft Deep C which I've been fixing up over the last year and is pretty well complete. I just ran across a 1959 17' Flying Crestliner for sale in about the same condition according to the pics and phone discussion but it is several hours drive from my home. My question is assuming they are in comparable condition which of these two would be the boat of choice and why? Also is one considered anymore valuable or sought after than the other? I have a family of four and we do mostly pleasure cruising and a little fishing. Thanks for any input.

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Vintage Alumacraft or Crestliner?

Can you post pictures of both to get a better idea. Isn't the Alumacraft an aluminum row boat with a motor and the Crestliner a cuddy?

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Both would be cool to own. I like the styling on the Crestliner better and the extra 2' of length should give you a little more room to move around and a stabler ride. I love the vintage motor on the AlumaCraft, keeps the vintage feel of the boat.

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was pretty attached to the Alumacraft but the Crestliner, even though it's not quite as old, looks to be more boat with a deeper v open floor plan and of course longer and larger able to handle additional hp (70hp).

64osby

Admiral

The two extra feet would help on space for 4.

Old Mercs are harder to maintain the older OMC products.

I only see the front seat in the Crestliner, is there seating for 4?

You may be buying someone else's hidden problems, leaks, bad transom, motor.

I see a kicker on yours, not on the Crestliner.

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've heard Mercs are harder to maintain and get parts for. They sure made a good looking OB in the day IMO.

The Crestliner has a total of three benches. The front of course is obvious and if I understand correctly the two seat backs on the front bench pull out of, what I'm guessing would be something like stake pockets, and can be reinstalled on the front side of the bench facing rear which would be sort of nice. The other two benches are laying on the floor in the boat leaning against the starboard side. I'm told they insert into a slot or something on starboard and port side, front to back so that seated persons would be using the sides of the boat as backrests and would be facing each other. This would be more flexable than the three set benches in my Alumacraft.

If I got serious about the Crestliner I would check it out and purchase it, then a little transfer of parts would occur prior to putting my Alumacraft up for sale. I would keep the kicker. Check out both trailers and keep the best, etc. I'm not sure if the kicker could be reached from a seated position though on the Crestliner looking at the transom design.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Crestliner has been building boats for a long time hence the axiom: "Quality survives the test of time'. Course the same can be said about AC and I know of their quality. Having had a peek at both, I'd go for the Crestliner.

Mark

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Crestliner has been building boats for a long time hence the axiom: "Quality survives the test of time'. Course the same can be said about AC and I know of their quality. Having had a peek at both, I'd go for the Crestliner.

Mark
Thanks for your vote. Are you willing to expand on what would make you go for the Crestliner over the AC? I like the way the design of my AC looks a little better with the rolled in rear end. I would probably have to give up my Zephyr trolling motor if I went with the Crest. The crest would be easier to move around in, better storage, slightly bigger water, heavier with all the wood but would probably ride nicer as a result. Crest=Merc. AC=Evinrude.

57crestliner

Seaman

1959 Crestliner Catalog
Try there. The Crestliner may have heavier aluminum, may not. Larson built them, and the company has changed hands many times since. My Voyager had a pad for a tiller motor, but was not very useful. Do you really like your boat? The Crestliner will be simple and sturdy:).

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1959 Crestliner Catalog
Try there. The Crestliner may have heavier aluminum, may not. Larson built them, and the company has changed hands many times since. My Voyager had a pad for a tiller motor, but was not very useful. Do you really like your boat? The Crestliner will be simple and sturdy:).

My AC so far has been fine. It's my first tin but seventh boat. Takes a little getting use to not towing 4000 lbs. and of course the rougher light small boat ride. Stable and 35 mph is nice. It's a nice experience being closer/in contact with the water again. My last three boats were a 22.5' Regal, 28' Custom built tritoon, and a 24' Caravelle Invader. It's made well and I'm a sucker for vintage things. A little awkward moving from bench to bench and storage is what it is.

The things that draws me toward the Crestliner is the additional length, and the clear deck area that the rear benches can be stowed or positioned in different locations.

I'm torn. Trying to talk my better half into letting me purchase it and then run them both in the spring before deciding which to keep. Still getting "that look" though so it may not happen that way.

57, was you tiller pad on the rear transom? Could a person even reach a tiller motor to operate one from the deck? Looks like the motors are set back pretty far from the deck area. The Crest has a trolling plate on the 65 Merc so I guess a guy could do without a tiller but again being a sucker for vintage I hate to not use my little Zephyr.

As far as value, can anyone speak for which boat is worth more or more desirable on the vintage market assuming they are in equal condition?

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love that Alumacraft!

If you decide to get rid of her let me know.

I just a bought an old Lonestar today if you know what I mean, you rascal.

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Del. I'd definitely let you and the AC boys know if she comes up for sale. Shipping might be a bit high though!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for your vote. Are you willing to expand on what would make you go for the Crestliner over the AC? I like the way the design of my AC looks a little better with the rolled in rear end. I would probably have to give up my Zephyr trolling motor if I went with the Crest. The crest would be easier to move around in, better storage, slightly bigger water, heavier with all the wood but would probably ride nicer as a result. Crest=Merc. AC=Evinrude.

Crestliner looks like you could do a lot more types of things. Seems there is no one boat that does all so the more things your one boat can do the better off you are. On the Crestliner, I didn't see much but what I saw said foul weather protection, open water adaptable, larger loads of folks and gear, yes on the heavier the softer the ride with a good V to go with it. Both engine mfgrs built great engines over the years.

I know what I am talking about because I have owned over 2 dozen boats in my life looking for the perfect boat and for me there is no such thing....I like a variety of things to do on the water which causes the problem.

HTH,
Mark

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mark, I know what your saying. I'm in the same boat......:laugh: My hope is to end up with one smaller vintage boat like these two for fishing, play, and the coolness, and once finances allow to purchase another 22'-28' glass as a main recreation boat. Someday, someday...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Mark, I know what your saying. I'm in the same boat......:laugh: My hope is to end up with one smaller vintage boat like these two for fishing, play, and the coolness, and once finances allow to purchase another 22'-28' glass as a main recreation boat. Someday, someday...

Well sir let me help you with that. I started from scratch and wife and I raised 4 younguns and wanted to have a good time in the process. I kept upgrading to a larger boat and then had to have a larger tow vehicle and then an additional parking pad at the house and never was happy, kept increasing.

One day the kids were grown and the wife and I got a bass boat of a lot smaller size and went fishing.

Good luck.

Mark

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hear you. I have 9 and 11 year old girls (we started late) and realistically two boats would be a waste. Hard enough to juggle schedules and get out enough in the season to justify one boat some years. Don't ever tell my wife I said that.

Itsogood

Seaman
Wow... from the sound of you guys I must be losin my mind. I have 6 boats and have a roving eye when going down the road and notice someone has one for sale that catches my eye.... Does that make me greedy??