Plastic Window Replacement on a Dodger

64osby

Admiral
58 degrees here in Michigan yesterday had to look in on the boat. I looked at the dodger and the plastic window has cracked. Looking to fix it before spring.

I was reading an old thread where it mentioned replacing an old plastic window by using 1/4' double stick tape and cutting out the old one.

I have done a little looking for tape. Is there a brand or type that is best for applying the new to the edge of the old.

Also the dodger folds 3 or 4 times when stored is there a certain thickness of material that should be used. Saw one site that said 20mil is best for marine uses. Wondering if thicker or thinner is better when it spends most of it's time folded up.

Thanks for any help you can pass a long.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Plastic Window Replacement on a Dodger

Ayuh,.... I can't imagine double sided tape lastin' very long, if at all....

Take yer stuff to a Canvas, or Upholstery Shop, 'n have a new window Stitched in...

I had my cabin windows built outa 30mil plastic,... It don't fold all that well,...
Ya might wanta go with the thickness that's already there....

64osby

Admiral

Hey Bond-o, the reason I asked was I had see a post by Fireman431 from a few years back.

I've been an upholsterer for 18 years and Ron has the basics correct. Unloess you have an industrial, walking foot machine equipped with UV thread and UV bobbin, then your best bet is to take it (and the boat) to an upholstery shop. They can put the top on the boat and seamseal (1/4" double sided, very sticky sealing tape) the new glass in place.

I have a few skills, don't tell my wife she'll want more projects done on the house.

Thinking this could be done pretty easy with the right materials.

Bondo

Staff member

Hey Bond-o, the reason I asked was I had see a post by Fireman431 from a few years back.

I have a few skills, don't tell my wife she'll want more projects done on the house.

Thinking this could be done pretty easy with the right materials.

Ayuh,.... I guess you'll have to ask the Fireman,....

But I believe, Seam Sealing tape is to seal the seam, After it's sewn...

Not for it's strength at holdin' it together...

Maybe not...

64osby

Admiral

I had sent Fireman a PM, but after looking at his recent posts, noticed he hasn't been active for a few months.

Hence asking questions here.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

IMHO, the proper fix is sewing in new plastic BUT in a pinch you can leave a margin of the olf plastic around the opening and use vinyl glue (clear, comes in a tube) to glue the new in place and get by for a while... I did an emergency repair on a convertible top that way the night before driving 1000 miles in mostly rain.... wasn't real pretty but worked.

haulnazz15

Captain

I would imagine a piece of the clear vinyl and some waterbed epoxy/cement would work okay. Probably not the prettiest repair, but if it is just to repair a small split, it might work for a little while.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

FYI...the seamseal tape is to hold the new eisenglass in place while it's being sewn. It stops the stretch and canvas "walk" from the maching and seals the needle punch holes after the stitching. It stills needs to be sewn using UV rated thread. Go to your local canvas/upholstery shop.

64osby

Admiral

Thanks everyone for the input. Sealing tape and sewing, maybe a zipper if I'm really motivated. I'll be waiting till it warms up a little more. It's 14 degrees this morning.:eek:

Don't know if my old machine will do the work, but I do have a friend with a walking foot machine.

64osby

Admiral

Finally got around to fixing the dodger window.
IMG_20130522_185049.jpg

Taped the cracks and holes in the old plastic. Used double stick foam tape on the edge and added the new 20 mil plastic.

IMG_20130525_132720.jpg

Pulled out my trusty sewing machine.

IMG_20130525_132730.jpg

I managed to sew it together. Not the straightest lines but it is together.

Cut out the old plastic. End result

IMG_20130525_175327.jpg

IMG_20130525_180007.jpg

Sealed the plastic to cover edge with some Goop Marine

Plastic, thread, and double stick tape, less then $20. About 6 hours of time overall.

It works for me.:)