Capacity plate missing where can i find the proper info to have a new 1 made????

undecided69

Seaman
mfg 1977 gypsy star 120hp omc ive done alots of research online n my owner manual n havent had any luck finding any info on the capacity plate for my boat so i can have 1 made thank you for your help...

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Capacity plate missing where can i find the proper info to have a new 1 made????

I think you can get one from the coast guard. Is MFG even still around? Maybe contact them? I know the CG have a formula to figure out capacity.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Capacity plate missing where can i find the proper info to have a new 1 made????

mfg 1977 gypsy star 120hp omc ive done alots of research online n my owner manual n havent had any luck finding any info on the capacity plate for my boat so i can have 1 made thank you for your help...

Ayuh,.... I wouldn't worry 'bout it,... Nobody else will care either...

NYBo

Admiral

Here are the specs for making your plate once you figure out the numbers:
Max capacity label.jpg

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,.... I wouldn't worry 'bout it,... Nobody else will care either...
Agreed. Ya I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Never had a cap plate on my '71 Glastron, not a problem. Always passed the annual county & coastie safety checks?

undecided69

Seaman

Ive had the same boat for two summer n i dind think it was a big deal not having 1 but last summer the coat guard tide off to check paper work blahblah while fishing n they gave me a hard time about it when i had 3 people on board counting myself they just give a warning they also said is a federal law for boats 20ft n under that has motor over 10hp power but when i did a safety check begining of the summer the boat past with no problems i guess is just my luck lol

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It was probably just a Coastie, who's wife was upset with 'im, 'n he wanted to spread his joy....

A Really Good Coastie can find atleast 3 violations, in a boat Just fitted, 'n commissioned by the Coast Guard...

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

As a retired Coast Guard engineer that used to field this question day in and day out here is the straight scoop:
First the USCG does not issue capacity labels, so you cannot get one from them. They are required by the USCG on certain boats under 20 feet in length but are put on by the boat builder. However on a boat that old you probably won't be able to get one from them. They are also put on a lot of other boats voluntarily as an industry standard through ABYC.

So, are you screwed? NO. You can make one. It is easy to do with a computer, an inkjet printer and some laminating plastic. To see how look here. New Boatbuilders Home Page - Labels Near the bottom of the page is a link to how to make a label. or go here New Boatbuilders Home Page - Projects - Building the FL12 Page 2 There is a word doc you can download that is the template. I have made many labels this way and they are perfectly legal.

The hard part is getting the numbers to go on the label. The best way is to find someone with the same boat. It doesn't have to be the same year, just the same model. Try going to the forum at Fiberglassics.com Categories - FiberGlassics® Forums - fiberglassics.com. some one there probably has one or knows some one who does.

Do you need the label. Yes. But it's complicated. The Federal label requirement is for boat manufacturers not boat owners, but there is a catch 22. Most of the states have passed laws that essentially say that the boat has to be in compliance with Federal law. OOps. So you need the label. If a Coast Guardsman cited you for not having a label it would get thrown out. But if a state or local water cop cited you it would stand and you could be fined. As I said Catch 22.

3rdtimesthecharm

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got one from the manufacturer after I sent them some measurements and pictures along with $40.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Interesting. Instead of missing one, my boat came with the wrong one. Bought it used from a dealer. The boat is a Crestliner 1650 Fishhawk the plate says 1750 with the 1750 capacities. Not sure how that happened. I suppose that's just as bad as not having one............

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

The boat is a Crestliner 1650 Fishhawk the plate says 1750 with the 1750 capacities.

I have seen that many times at boat shows. Not too bad if the capacities are the same, but bad if they are not. We used to make the manufacturer replace those labels. How does it happen? Some one on the production line grabs the wrong label, and then it never gets picked up on the production line, or some builders have the dealers put the label on and they put on the wrong label. It's just sloppy quality control.