• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

short shaft ON long transom?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short shaft ON long transom?

I have a boat that is a long transom (19").... And I have a short shaft 40hp 1995 Johnson TILLER steer outboard. So....My question is; Can I use this outboard on my boat IF I use a jack plate? For example, will a fixed jack plate allow me to mount this low enough on transom to have cavitation plate where it needs to be AND still be able to use tiller handle and a engine controls? Or will lowering outboard a couple inches cause the tiller handle to hit the transom and not be able to turn / tilt.
    (the plate I'm thinking about will set outboard back 4"). oh, and boat is a Tracker Grizzly 1648
    Please advise.

Re: short shaft ON long transom?

Jack plates work much better for a long shaft motor on a short shaft boat.

I'd say your steering will be close if not impeded.
    I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Comment

Re: short shaft ON long transom?

Please do not post multiples, 95Johnson. Your thread in the Johnson/Evinrude forum has replies.

Please review and respect our rules.

Thanks for your cooperation.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X