Change or replace toilet?????

Capt.T

Cadet
I have a 1991 Jabsco manual flush toilet in my boat. The manual flush plunger is not working properly. It will not suck in the lake water at all, but will discharge the toilet water (filled with a bucket) into the holding tank. It is also very difficult to operate the plunger handle. Feels like it is stuck.
Would I be better off purchasing a new toilet ($160) or would I be better off rebuilding the manual flush mechanism?
Your suggestions would be appreciated.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Change or replace toilet?????

At $160, I'd go the new route. . .

gm280

Supreme Mariner

The broad range of subject material always seems to surprise me on these boating comment boards. :laugh:

Look at it this way. It is already broken...right? So try fixing it first and if you don't succeed then purchase a new one. What do you seriously have to loose...:)

Capt Ken

Commander

Its a ****ty job, but someone has to do it:)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

It will not suck in the lake water at all, but will discharge the toilet water (filled with a bucket) into the holding tank. It is also very difficult to operate the plunger handle. Feels like it is stuck.

This is THE common Jabsco pump failure. It will discharge but won't suck in water. A new, complete, bolt-in pump costs $60. The rebuild kit is only about $10. cheaper and a lot more work. Pump replacement is an easy, clean, unsmelly 15-minute job. Did it season before last. You'll have some clean flush water to mop up, but not much of it.

If I were going to replace my manual Jabsco head, it wouldn't be with another Jabsco. It'd be a Raritan manual, which costs about twice as much.

My .02

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

not to point out the obvious but the seacock IS open right?

Capt.T

Cadet

not to point out the obvious but the seacock IS open right?

Thanks for all of your comments........and yes, the seacock is open.

I think I'll go with the replacement pump.........no sense getting rid of a perfectly good toilet.....