Windlass Fleming damage

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have posted about this before. I have a Horizon 600 windlass. The Fleming gets damaged or broken 2-3 times during the summer. I just replaced it again yesterday. The Fleming goes around the spindle of the gears and bolts at the bottom to prevent the chain/rope from wrapping around the gears and directs the rope/chain into the rode locker for those that didn't know what a Fleming is.

Fleming Pl.jpgDamaged Fleming.JPG

The pictures are a new one and damaged one. The damaged one caused the rope to jam. Once the chain starts into the gears, it worked great. Once replaced, works fine. Not a huge deal but something is wrong and I can't figure it out and it is a pain to replace so often and cost $8 a pop.

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: Windlass Fleming damage

Lewmar makes two types of Flemings. One is for chain only and the other is for both rope and chain. You may have the "chain" model.

Windlasses products

I've read of one possible cause for the rope jamming - the locker is not deep enough, so the rode does not coil/uncoil properly.

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've read of one possible cause for the rope jamming - the locker is not deep enough, so the rode does not coil/uncoil properly.

That is not a problem either. Have little over a foot from top of rode locker and rope coil up.
Someday maybe someone will hit on the problem. Sure is baffling me!

Thanks for the replies!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I'd call Lewmar. I don't know if it's the same model windlass, but a friend was able to replace his plastic fleming with a metal one.

My .02

Trailcraft570

Recruit

Broken fleming - Lewmar pro-sport 550

Hi
I have a Lewmar Pro-Sport 550 that has a similar plastic flemming that got chewed up by 12mm 3 ply rope. Parts not available down under (in Aussie) and have had to ship from the UK which hasn't been cheap. Windlass is only 10 months old and supplier isn't too interested in helping out. I'm keen to know where I can source a stainless steel version for a RC0670 gypsy, can't seem to find one down here or through Lewmar in the UK. Have switched to 8 plait nylon rope and once the new fleming arrives I will see how that goes but feeling is, it'll snap again under minor load. Anyone got any ideas to endure it does happen again?
T

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

OLD THREAD

please start a new thread of your own

Welcome to Iboats