emergency starting using a pull rope

cuenta

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if ever happens that the battery dies
We can use this method

1.Remove the cowling.
2.Tie a knot in the end of a 6 mm (1/4") rope and wedge the knot into the notch on top of the flywheel.
3.Wrap the rope around the flywheel in the correct direction clockwise.
4.Set the choke and throttle.
5.Pull really hard.
6.Repeat until it starts. (Do not attempt to put the cowling back on while it's spinning)

start.jpg

video:
How to pull start a flat electric start Outboard - YouTube

carefully this method can cause injury
if anyone has other options give suggestions

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: emergency starting using a pull rope

pretty basic--every OB operator should know this.

Anyone in the boat needs to stay away and look away; the rope will whip out an eye easy.

For big motors you can tie the pull rope to an oar, stand it up and pull like a lever.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have done it on a old 85 Johnson I had I cant imagine it on any thing bigger.
:peep:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

pretty basic--every OB operator should know this.

Anyone in the boat needs to stay away and look away; the rope will whip out an eye easy.

For big motors you can tie the pull rope to an oar, stand it up and pull like a lever.

That's some important stuff right there!!!! I have pull started inline 6 mercs and it is doable ........have your passengers stay away, shield their eyes, and there ears........on occasion there is swearing involved too.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Go back to the Force forum and search my threads. I have already written one on rope starting a Force 120 along with photos.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I just switch the cables over from the cranking battery to the trolling motor battery... works like a charm!

The Rooster

Ensign

I just switch the cables over from the cranking battery to the trolling motor battery... works like a charm!

^^^ Thats cheating !!! After looking at mine, I think I'll call "SeaTow". I'd need a 12' oar.

Fed

Commander

1.Remove the cowling.
2.Tie a knot in the end of a 6 mm (1/4") rope and wedge the knot into the notch on top of the flywheel.
3.Wrap the rope around the flywheel in the correct direction clockwise.
4.Set the choke and throttle.
5.Pull really hard.
6.Repeat until it starts. (Do not attempt to put the cowling back on while it's spinning)
That won't work.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Assuming the starter didn't fail! Had that happen on the water once. Started perfect on land, was completely dead when I tried it on the water. The autopsy revealed one of the little braided copper wires on a brush had come unsoldered.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

I kinda laughed the first time I pulled the cowl of the XR6 and it had a rope in it. I'm not a big fellar and can't see how I would ever get it started with the pull rope--i'm with jigngrub

cuenta

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forget that little detail
need turning the key on position

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

on the cheating side of life: I carry jumper cables. Not just for the obvious, but also for stranded fellow boaters, easy hook-up to a car battery if needed at the ramp, but more important, to work around wiring problems and jump straight from the battery to the starter.