Seafoam and alcohol in gas

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Seafoam and alcohol in gas

I don't know, I love my boat too much to risk it. That pale oil is too questionable and probably is the most important part.

NYBo

Admiral

SeaFoam contains India Pale Ale? I guess hat explains the "foam" part. :D

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Actually its just the oil in the Seafoam burning off which is why you don't want to use it in a car with O2 sensors.

If you want to dry your gas, get a gas drier product that is all isopropyl alcohol and save your money.

If you want to use a fuel cleaner that actually has the best active ingredient in it, use the Techron product. It will do way more than the naptha that is in Seafoam. the Society of Automotive Engineers did a study and found that it was the most effective fuel cleaner.

That's right.

It never ceases to amaze me that these discussions about "Snake oils" are identical to the ones on engine lubricating oils.
I.E.
"I use xxx oil, oil additive, fuel additive and have never had a problem"

Funny thing is there's many more of us here and elsewhere who have NOT used and fuel or oil additives and ALSO have never had a problem.

And of course, NO "Snake-oil" thread is complete without someone mentioning MMO!!

Just looked up the MSDS sheet for Seafoam:

by weight:
40-60% "pale oil" (light mineral oil)
25-35% Naphtha
10-20% IPA (isopropyl alcohol)

Baby oil, lighter fluid and rubbing alcohol--- Kinda takes the magic out, doesn't it? But if you're afraid of alcohol in your gas, then don't use it!

Something that IS good for your gas, and everything else in your engine is Marvel Mystery Oil...

So.....the above "stuff" is bad and MMO is GOOD?

MMO is a mixture of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.

I guess it's the LARD that makes it better?:facepalm:

AND by the way, for those that fly Airplanes..........Using MMO in the fuel is a direct violation of FAR's (Federal Aviation Regulations) that will get a pilots license suspended and a certificated airplane grounded if they find out......AND the survivors of the crash will OWN the pilots estate!....... (Here's an airplane that used MMO in the fuel)

We're in luck somebody has tried it:
Homebrew Sea Foam (SeaFoam) Motor Treatment Recipe

Disclaimer

This page is not affiliated with Sea Foam or the Sea Foam Sales Company nor am I liable for how you use this information. Fixing an engine is certainly a lot more expensive than original Sea Foam, so be careful if you decide to do any experimentation on your engine.
Recommended Recipe

4 parts Diesel 2 parts naphtha 1 part IPA

Yeah.....somebody with more time than brains or money on his hands!!

Merc4ever
I don't know, I love my boat too much to risk it. That pale oil is too questionable and probably is the most important part.​

Yeah! me too!

Most of us don't usually experiment with our engines.........I've actually had to buy a few rebuilt/new ones!

matt167

Captain

Seafoam was invented in 1948 IIRC, for the use of decarbonizing engines. It has been the same formulation for 60+ years. Nothing wrong with it as it is used as it was originally intended- as a decarbonizer. Dump it down the carb slowly at idle or add it to the gas once in a while.. The second use was as an upper cylinder lube. Many engines from the 50's- prior had low pressure oiling systems where the pump only puts oil to the valve train, and the cylinders and bearings are splash lubricated, so the pale oil helped keep the cylinders lubricated.
Sadly Seafoam marketing has added to it's uses to include things like a fuel stabilizer, even creating other products that won't do as intended and put the Sea Foam name on them.

MMO came out quite a bit earlier. Good old outdated product for todays uses, because it was an upper cylinder lube. Now because of the marketing department, it's a lot of other things too.. The " Add to gas and oil " on the can came a bit later, and eventually the " Top Cylinder Lubrication " was dropped from the label as upper cylinder lubes are no longer needed in modern engines. Now the bottles have " Ultimate Engine Protection" on them, making it a snake oil unless it's used as originally intended

I use both Seafoam ( as a decarbonizer ) and MMO I use in my '51 Chevy. Also have a worn out 8hp Briggs on a Gilson snowblower that will throw a 4" flame out the exhaust that can be seen at night, but it will singe a paper any time of day. Flame stops if I run a heavy mix of MMO in the gas, most likely because the MMO burning keeps the valves seated.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

So what's the bottom line if you want to protect your engine from the harmfull effects of the 10% achohol we get at most gas pumps?

MMO, Seafoam, or Stabil marine?

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

And of course, NO "Snake-oil" thread is complete without someone mentioning MMO!!

So.....the above "stuff" is bad and MMO is GOOD?

MMO is a mixture of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.

I guess it's the LARD that makes it better?:facepalm:

AND by the way, for those that fly Airplanes..........Using MMO in the fuel is a direct violation of FAR's (Federal Aviation Regulations) that will get a pilots license suspended and a certificated airplane grounded if they find out......AND the survivors of the crash will OWN the pilots estate!....... (Here's an airplane that used MMO in the fuel)
First of all, I didn't say anything bad about Seafoam...

Second of all, I read your airplane crash-- All I gotta say is, some pilot or plane mechanic (or whoever) doesn't have any more sense than to add a quart (A QUART!?) of MMO to 18 gallons of gas, and they're blaming the OIL?

A quart of ANY oil would've caused that plane to crash!

Geez... you're only supposed to add like a 1/4 cup to 20 gallons of gas...

matt167

Captain

I'v always had a feeling that Marine Sta-Bil and regular Sta-bil were the same thing just different colors and prices.. They do use 2 different CAS formulations.

Both are hydrotreated light oils and I would assume both will work in a marine enviroment, but they can't sell the exact same thing in a different bottle and get away with it, so they use simmilar formulations.. Star Tron is what I would use if you were worried about storage.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So what's the bottom line if you want to protect your engine from the harmfull effects of the 10% achohol we get at most gas pumps?
The only harmful effects are if you get too much water in the tank and get phase separation. If you don't get that, you are basically wasting your time even worrying about it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

MMO, Seafoam, or Stabil marine?

Hmm......Well, Since literally millions of people all over the country (and world for that matter) don't have ANY problems with E-10 gasoline, I would say just run it and worry about other (more important) things....

Use the money you would waste on "snake-oils" to buy more gas. (or BEER!! :laugh:)

matt167

Captain

I only started using Sta-Bil because the new generator reccomended it, and it had a 3 yr warranty,. Now that I have the stuff on hand, I might as well use it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Hmm......Well, Since literally millions of people all over the country (and world for that matter) don't have ANY problems with E-10 gasoline, I would say just run it and worry about other (more important) things....

Use the money you would waste on "snake-oils" to buy more gas. (or BEER!! :laugh:)

Maybe those millions of people who USE their E-10 don't have problems, but the thousands of boaters who let it sit for a while, do have problems. That's the essential difference. The guy at a marine store said he sells lots of Startron to motorcycle drivers for the same reason--with high MPG and infrequent use, their gasoline doesn't turn over like in a car, but sits more like a boat. Also larger motors can plow through the problems from old E10 where smaller motors are affected--the car v. bike/boat difference again. But a tiny tank like in a weed whacker or chain saw isn't going to get the critical mass of gunk, and the tank is constantly shaken around.

So really, to be precise, E-10 isn't a problem for engines; it's a problem for boaters. Focus on boat use and not engine operations and you'll see why--and why marine mechanics universally agree that E-10 causes a lot of problems for a lot of boaters, unless they take steps to prevent it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I think it is funny how they are pushing the use of E-10 and soon to be E-15 as a way for us to use less foreign oil. Well anybody that does use either (by choice or forced too via the only available option) probably knows by now that their vehicles do not get as good of mileage as before. So in essences we are not using less foreign oil after all. We simply pay more for a blend that gives us less capability and less gas mileage so we will simply fill up sooner than later. It is all a big joke. Just think of the taxes on those extra gallons of gas/alcohol you are buying that the government receives. But I can absolutely attest to the FACT the E-10 and E-15 blends do dissolve fuel lines and a lot of other plastic and rubber components in cars, trucks, lawn equipment and most anything that takes gas fuel in general. Pretend all you want, but Alcohol blends do not solve any foreign oil problems but does create so much repair problems for many people. But the government surely doesn't care one way or the other. You can manipulate numbers anyway you want to prove your decisions to force alcohol fuels as a means for less foreign oil usage and the government is the best at doing those things... Anybody that does small engine repairs like weed eater, leaf blowers, edgers, chain saws, pressure washers and most any lawn equipment knows how these alcohol blends dissolve fuel lines into crap and plug up carbs quickly too. This isn't rocket surgery folks. :blue: Just think what it is doing to your cars AND boat motors as well! :grumpy: We are simply swapping one problem for another while the government gains more taxes on forcing these blends... :cold:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I think it is funny how they are pushing the use of E-10 and soon to be E-15 as a way for us to use less foreign oil.
It may be funny to you because it is not why it is added. It is added as an oxygenator for pollution standards. You may may remember MTBE that was polluting ground water? That was the oxygenator before ethanol.

matt167

Captain

It is the oxygenator, but it is being promoted as a way to use less foreign oil, regardless of the fact it costs more to produce than the energy it provides.. Upgrading to E15 is unnecessary for the purpose as an oxygenator. EPA approved it's use as a way to use less oil. E10 will be a pump selection for a very long time due to it's approval only going to 2001+ Vehicles, and several manufactures will void their warranty's with E15 used before the 2013 model year.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

E15 is not being mandated to replace E10. If you think that, you are mistaken. It is going to be introduced in addition to existing fuels.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Anybody that does small engine repairs like weed eater, leaf blowers, edgers, chain saws, pressure washers and most any lawn equipment knows how these alcohol blends dissolve fuel lines into crap and plug up carbs quickly too. This isn't rocket surgery folks. :blue:

I disagree. I use all that equipment, some of it on a daily basis(at least during summer) w/o any issues. I do take issue with how it's made, more specifically, the product that is used.... Then there's E-85. I know people with flex-fuel cars that had significant performance and mileage issues..... They said they would never use it again.......

matt167

Captain

E15 is not being mandated to replace E10. If you think that, you are mistaken. It is going to be introduced in addition to existing fuels.

Yes I meant that it will be an additional selection at the pumps. EPA approved it for use, not mandating it even be available at every pump, just that stations can pump it

matt167

Captain

I disagree. I use all that equipment, some of it on a daily basis(at least during summer) w/o any issues. I do take issue with how it's made, more specifically, the product that is used.... Then there's E-85. I know people with flex-fuel cars that had significant performance and mileage issues..... They said they would never use it again.......

I know with Stihl products, their warranty is void if used with Ethanol fuels.. Pretty much all of those manufactures use plastic fuel lines that are not rated for alcohol fuels. I'v had to deal with a few failed fuel lines on weed eaters.