New Suzuki DF 175's ram piston hits on tilt

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Repowered from 1999 Johnson 175 to new suzuki 175
Just got my boat back today everything is running awesome. The dealer asked me if I was going to change my seastar steering during install. Did think I had to I just put a new helm in and had the ram rebuilt,anyways got it back to the dock and trimmed up the motor one goes all the way out of the water the other doesn't . Looks like the ram isn't clearing. Does anyone know if you can get deeper support bracket to push the ram further away from the motor for more clearance? The dealer is already closed and wanted ask before they try to sell me a new system. Didn't have this problem before with the Johnson's
Thanks for any info

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Suzuki DF 175's ram piston hits on tilt

Repowered from 1999 Johnson 175 to new suzuki 175
Just got my boat back today everything is running awesome. The dealer asked me if I was going to change my seastar steering during install. Did think I had to I just put a new helm in and had the ram rebuilt,anyways got it back to the dock and trimmed up the motor one goes all the way out of the water the other doesn't . Looks like the ram isn't clearing. Does anyone know if you can get deeper support bracket to push the ram further away from the motor for more clearance? The dealer is already closed and wanted ask before they try to sell me a new system. Didn't have this problem before with the Johnson's
Thanks for any info

I have twin DF140's that had a similar problem, after I was messing with them. Turned out that there is a trim limiter switch on the pivot tube that kept the engine from going into the "trailering" mode or full up trim.

You can't really see it easily, but it is a black ring and can be adjusted by hand. You may not even find it on a parts break down, my dealer had to call Suzuki and even then only one guy knew the "switch" was there. Since then I have found it and make sure I don't adjust it by accident when cleaning the tube.

Hope this helps.

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New Suzuki DF 175's ram piston hits on tilt

Thanks Bob
Tried finding some other post here and took the advice and calling Teleflex.
I was surprise how quick and knowlegdeable these guys were.
After everything said, all I had to do was mount the steering ram to the top side of the steering bar instead of the bottom.
Gave me an extra .5 of and inch and no longer hit the splash well. Now I have to raise my tie barwith sleeves(on the mounting bolt) cause that now sat on top of the ram bleed valve.
Ready to hit the Winterfest parade this Saturday night,Then some sailfishing next week!