Best boat for shallow water ( 2 feet)

JCOLake

Recruit
Re: Best boat for shallow water ( 2 feet)

no word back from Janie; maybe she took offense to our talking about her bottom

LOL.....

Yes we want to learn the lake but I would like to be able to haul a few people.
What about a pontoon boat? I saw a 1993 pontoon boat for $5000.00 that looked pretty good.

ziggy

Admiral

between your original post and your last comment. my suggestion is to get hooked up with the us power squadron or the us coast gaurd aux. and take some boating safety classes. there will be folks at either of these organizations that you can talk to about different kinds of boats.
boats can be much less forgiving that autos when things go wrong. and your wanting to haul a few people too. some education via these organizations will be most useful.
a good book to get would be chapmans pioloting, seamanship and boat handling. this book is very thick and can educate a person to the many aspects of boating. and there are many aspects to be considered.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL.....

Yes we want to learn the lake but I would like to be able to haul a few people.
What about a pontoon boat? I saw a 1993 pontoon boat for $5000.00 that looked pretty good.

A true flat-bottom boat the same size as the pontoon boat will draft MUCH less than the pontoon boat, especially when loaded with people. However, the flat-bottom will ride quite a bit rougher than the pontoon when the wind kicks up.

If the bottom of the lake is sand and/or mud, you won't have any problems. If it's rocks and/or stumps, you will likely be replacing/repairing propellers every time you get in less than two feet of water (unless you have a jackplate, which has other issues).

Either way, go slow and take it easy for the first dozen trips or so. You would be well ahead to take a boater safety course. Hands-on is best, but there are also many free online courses available. Try Boat Ed - Boating Safety Course and Exam - Official Boat License and Boater Safety Test for starters.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

A pontoon is really the best all around boat, you can pull water toys, fish, cruise or just waste a day.

5k for a toon could be a good deal but we will need alot more info to help you decide that, boat brand, length and engine size at least.

I think you will find most bodies of water fit the desciption of the lake you want to go on so your boat choice really is irrelevant and you don't want to get a boat for shallow water if that isn't all there is, you should get a baoat that will do what you want it to.

I go to a local lake that is 1 1/2' to 2' deep in spots but it is also 87' deep in other spots, you just avoid the shallow spots, the river I fish is the same way, you will just have to put in some time and learn the lake, it won't take long and you will know where you can and can't go.

Jhudds

Seaman

If your looking for a boat that can go in the skinny water and the ocean then you want to look at a penn yan. You can geta real good deal on them and they come in sizes from 20', 23' 24' 26' and 30'.
The most popular are the 20's and 23's and 24's. They draft 14" in the tunnel hull config, they usually have a v8 chevy,ford or chrysler power plant. you can use it to fish off of, ski and tube from and you can run in 2-4 seas with ease as well as 2' of water. If you want to learn more go to
Penn Yan Antique & Classic Boat Owners Club its a Penn yan club and the guys there know everything you need to know about Penn yan boats.
you can also find some boats for sale on there as well as on this site and others like Penn Yan Parts & Accessories

Good luck with what ever you eventually find.

cyclops2

Banned

Without a number of people & their approximate weights. There is no way we can pick anything for you. Weight of people & BIG dogs is important. So is a load of food & drinks for them if you plan on doing that.
It is easy to find you need a long wide flat boat of about 1,000 pounds carrying capacity.

sasto

Captain

I know I'm probably a little late.....but....as an owner of a 23' Penn Yan Flybridge I have 18" of draft at the stern. The prop will never hit bottom due to it's location in a tunnel. I spent the night on her stranded on an oyster bed with her lying on her side. No damage to running geat whatsoever.

Good Luck!

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Look at flats boats.

Lots of boats are made just for skinny water. Some with tunnels (Day 5) some not (HellsBay).

Or a good Lowe Aluminum with tunnel. We fish one that runs in 4".

Most use jackplates since trim tilt doesn't do much help.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I think most people are MISSING the big picture.... The O/P said the boat would run in 4-11 feet of water and MAY need to go into 2 feet of water.... Heck just about any small boat would be ok and any pontoon with a small outboard (IE not a 175 weighing down the stern) would be right at home....

4 feet of water doesn't scare me in my 28' cruiser (at idle speed of course)

Get a depth finder and drop to idle/trim up any time it gets shallow. carry a spare prop and a prop wrench and keep a couple of push poles on board to get out of a jamb if you push it too shallow

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Now that I think about it, My draft on the montecarlo (pictured in my sig) is only 18" trimmed up so I could enter 2' of water without issue at idle speed and trimmed down it's 30" so 4-11 feet is a non issue