Turning a glove box into a flat surface for Flushmount... HOW?

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys. I've got someone looking to have me install some gear. But, before I proceed, I was looking for some thoughts on one component of the project. The boat has it's gear in a GLOVEBOX, and wants it sealed flat, for FLUSH MOUNT. I included pictures of the actual boat, AND, a picture of another boat that had this done. So, we basically have a before and after shot.

What's the best way to approach closing up the glove box for flush mounting the new gear?

-G

Attachments

• Proline console pic 2.jpg
    Proline console pic 2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • proline console pic.jpg
    proline console pic.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0
  • NewHelm150.jpg
    NewHelm150.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Turning a glove box into a flat surface for Flushmount... HOW?

In your first picture, the dash looks like one big flat surface, but in the other two with the glove box, it looks like the glove box is angled toward the front of the boat. Is that correct?

Not really an electrical question so I moved it here.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have not seen the boat with my own eyes yet. He is far away, and I want to be sure I have a good approach before I take this on. They are apparently a very similar model pro-line boat. What I'm being asked to do, is turn the glove box, into one big flat surface, like you see in that picture. I am attaching the BEFORE pic, of the finished boat. You'll see it was also a glove box, and is now a continuous flat surface....

Attachments

• console50-1.jpg
    console50-1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 0

Don S

I would look at cutting the box out, make a panel similar to the glove box door and mount the electronics to the panel and screw it to the dash. Then you have access to the back of the electronics.

proline console pic.jpg

They don't look like the same shape dash to me. You are going to have angles to deal with, the completed one looks like the whole front of the dash was redone as one big glassed in flat panel, then new cutouts made.

A lot depends on the access behind the panel, shape of the real dash, and the size of the instruments he wants and how much he wants to spend. Re doing the whole dash is going to be expensive.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm thinking fiberglass. The boat owner suggested that as well, but I think is open to my input, as I am open to yours... Thoughts on Fiberglass/Wood? I'm all ears

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was thinking I could perhaps fabricate a new panel, make cut outs on it, install the instruments on it, then, secure the panel to the box.... Does that make any sense to you? I'd just have to figure the best way to go about that

Don S

I was thinking I could perhaps fabricate a new panel, make cut outs on it, install the instruments on it, then, secure the panel to the box.... Does that make any sense to you? I'd just have to figure the best way to go about that

You mean like in my picture?
Remove the glove box door and make it out of anything you want.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don,

Whoa, awesome. I didn't see your picture till now! That's exactly it! Looking at that picture, it looks like the electronics are mounted to the glove box panel, or, another panel was made that looks just like it. This is how I saw it done in my head. It's not one continuous flat piece, but, looks fine to me!

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree. I was also thinking Wood. Thanks a ton for explaining the FG method. That's just what I needed to hear. I will se about going Wood, and if that doesn't fly, then, perhaps I take a shot at your FB method. What would be a good release agent?

Don S

Let me see if I can't put some wood in the picture.

Don S

This is teak.

Teak panel.jpg

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

I have redone my entire dash in Mahogany.
before.jpgafter.jpg

Personally, I like the look of wood. But...... If you opt to go with another (fiberglass) look, may I suggest Delrin. It's a type of plastic that machines beautifully. It won't melt when machining. It's super strong and would provide a nice slick, clean look. I am using it to make the glove box. It would be much easier than doing it fiberglass.

For more on Delrin look here:
Acetal Resin | DuPont ™ Delrin ®
look here to get an idea of cost (although I'm sure you could find it elsewhere):
McMaster-Carr

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Heck, Just mount the electronics in the glove box door & close it, Done deal. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

Maybe there is a reason you can't do that, Not sure. Or make a panel out of starboard &nd screw it in.

LK