Hydraulic (trim) cylinders for an AATV/swim platform

F14CRAZY

Ensign
What are typical sterndrive trim cylinders made of? I'm under the impression that they're aluminum with stainless rods.

While this project is far from being under progress I've been brainstorming ideas on fabricating a hydraulic swim platform for my Coho to carry my 6x6 AATV as a dinghy. I'll figure out reinforcing the transom but I figure the out wouldn't care much about the weight (I figure the AATV weighs less than 400 lbs).

To launch and retrieve the Amphicat AATV I would like to engineer a platform just a bit bigger than its current, pretty typical teak platform. Using off the shelf marine components I figure that something like a Mercruiser or OMC Cobra trim pump could run a couple hydraulic cylinders to raise and lower the platform. Switches could be added to the transom. I'd imagine the pump could deal with a few hundred pounds considering it can adjust the trim on a sterndrive powered by a big block under way.

With the idea I have in my head, sterndrive trim cylinders do not have enough stroke for this. I could get a couple industrial/agricultural cylinders with like a 24'' stroke and I think it would work but these cylinders would be mounted under water. The boat will be kept in a slip seasonally.

I take it that these cylinders are cast iron with chromed steel rods. I can keep at least the cast iron parts painted and attach anodes but I'm concerned about the chrome part of the rod rusting.

Think this would all work?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Hydraulic (trim) cylinders for an AATV/swim platform

While this project is far from being under progress I've been brainstorming ideas on fabricating a hydraulic swim platform for my Coho to carry my 6x6 AATV as a dinghy. I'll figure out reinforcing the transom but I figure the out wouldn't care much about the weight (I figure the AATV weighs less than 400 lbs).

Even the lightest 6x6's weigh around 650-700 pounds DRY. Throw in fuel, oil, and any gear, and you are 700+ pounds. That is alot of weight on the back of a boat...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

just use trim cylinders and engineer your linkage to move the platform further than the stroke of the cylinder

Or ditch the hydraulics and go with an electric winch and stainless cable

I am gonna have to say though that I think you need a bigger boat to do this.... argo plus whatever is in it plus a couple people plus the platform and it's working will likely be well over 1000 lbs..... might be pushing it even if it was a 40 footer

F14CRAZY

Ensign

just use trim cylinders and engineer your linkage to move the platform further than the stroke of the cylinder

Or ditch the hydraulics and go with an electric winch and stainless cable

I am gonna have to say though that I think you need a bigger boat to do this.... argo plus whatever is in it plus a couple people plus the platform and it's working will likely be well over 1000 lbs..... might be pushing it even if it was a 40 footer

I got thinking instead of a linkage and hydraulics underwater, a track of sorts could be made using angle aluminum and rollers could be used vertically off the transom. The cast part of the cylinders may still have to be under water but the rods could be above the waterline this way. I thought of a winch and cable and the idea isn't off the table but I like the idea of two way hydraulics, in case the platform wants to float. It's currently teak and will have to be larger but teak may be used again. Not sure on what to use for the platform surface yet.

Even the lightest 6x6's weigh around 650-700 pounds DRY. Throw in fuel, oil, and any gear, and you are 700+ pounds. That is alot of weight on the back of a boat...

1965 Amphicat ATV Brochure | eBay

I had trouble finding the specs, but 350 lbs, plus like a quart of ATF in the trans and the gas tank is like 4 gallons. Minus weight of a battery since I do not run one. I figure a good swim platform on a good boat should safely hold at least 500 lbs. With reinforcement (currently no wood) and some system with attachment points connected to the stringers I think it could safely hold the Amphicat, a couple people, and take some wave pounding.

So the Amphicat weighs 350 lbs, I weight about 150, my girlfriend weighs like 104...I don't see 1k lbs being back there (though wave pounding, heavier passengers, etc will be figured in). This isn't someone asking what do buy to tow a 17' bowrider 4 miles 3 times a year and suggesting a bare minimum of a 3/4 ton diesel truck :D

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I may be the first to launch an amphibious assault from a Chris Craft

RRitt

Captain

i think the first order of business is to stack 700Lbs of cinder blocks on your transom and take the boat out for a ride.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

True, testing with the weight back there would be a good idea