anchor chock what to do with the rode.

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to mount the anchor on the bow of my boat to avoid storing it under my seat, and dragging it through the cabin area. I was thinking of something like this, my question is what to do with the rope (rode?). attach it to the bow rail? anyone have a setup like this? thanks.

Attachments

• anchor chock.jpg
    anchor chock.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1

Ned L

Commander
Re: anchor chock what to do with the rode.

you would typically use anchor chocks in conjunction with a 'hawse hole' to lead the anchor rhode down to a rope locker in the forepeak. I suppose lacking that, you could stow the anchor rhode is some sort of duffle and secure it to the bow rail.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I want to mount the anchor on the bow of my boat to avoid storing it under my seat, and dragging it through the cabin area. I was thinking of something like this, my question is what to do with the rope (rode?). attach it to the bow rail? anyone have a setup like this? thanks.

How much rode are you talking about? 50', 100'? You could install an anchor roller and store the rode in a plastic milk crate attached to the deck . You could install a hawse pipe and feed the rode below deck into a plastic bucket, leaving it attached to the anchor in both scenarios. Be sure to get a hawse pipe with a lid to help keep the rain out.

Trying to handle the rode laying loose on the deck could lead to frustration and problems.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

One of these as mentioned above might work for chain, but feeding rope down the pipe might be frustrating.
Boat Chain & Rope Pipes - iboats
Or you could mount the anchor in a bowroller if your deck is not too bubbledeck rounded. - Grandad

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

excellent suggestions! I have about 100' that I want to store. My goal is to have the anchor ready to go quicker, and de-clutter the deck. Again, excellent suggestions, thanks!

cyclops2

Banned

My concern is why you have not told us how much chain you have attached to the anchor. Chain is a must to get anchors to dig in quickly & deeply.
My 3300 pound, 19 foot bow rider, has 6' of 1" of chain shackled to the anchor & line. It is a bear to pull out of anything but rock. Exactly what I like if I need a life & boat saving anchoring in a emergency.

Get a set up that will hold in 25' of water no mater how strong the wind & current are. I have 200' of solid braided 1/2" Nylon line.

You do not need enough line to hold in 200' of water....................You need enough to hold so you do not break up on the rocks or bang against docks & other boats.

cyclops2

Banned

I just realized you plan on attaching the end of the line to a part of the upper deck area. Normally there is nothing strong enough to take the yanks during wind & waves.

The best thing to do is to run the line in to some kind of bow locker at the very front of the boat with a VERY solid U bolt. Much like the pulling eye & winch line to load onto a trailer..............But stronger to take hours of yanking. Letting out all the anchor line is a big help in reducing the shocks from every wave slaming into the boats bow.

Look at the + 25 foot long boats to see how they protect the deck from the chain & wave yanking on the line.
Many different good ways to do your job right.