GPS Data For Navigation Markers?

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
In my downtime, I'm trying to upload new routes into my Humminbird GPS/Depthfinder/Chart Plotter. Towards that end, I need to enter some local buoy locations to use as waypoints. I've done this before but I can't remember where I got the GPS coordinates from in the past. Specifically, I'm interested in the Intracoastal Waterway between Cape Fear and the New River Inlet along with the markers in Topsail Sound, Banks Channel and the general vicinity.

Is there an on-line database I can reference?

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: GPS Data For Navigation Markers?

Your tax dollars at work; Finally for something useful!

NOAA charts are public property and can be had for free HERE.

jayhanig

Your tax dollars at work; Finally for something useful!

NOAA charts are public property and can be had for free HERE.

That isn't quite what I needed as I already have the charts. I was just trying to avoid having to plot those buoys that didn't list their GPS coordinates either directly on the charts or in accompanying tables. Still, your link is a good one and I have bookmarked it for later reference. I appreciate the reply.

shrew

Lieutenant

I think you've spent more time looking for a shortcut, than it would have taken to break out a chart and ruler and chart the coordinates manually. After all, it is a good excercise in Navigation and seamanship.

jayhanig

I think you've spent more time looking for a shortcut, than it would have taken to break out a chart and ruler and chart the coordinates manually. After all, it is a good excercise in Navigation and seamanship.

Not even close. There are 22 buoys defining a pretty narrow channel between where I put in and the dock across the street from my house. I would much rather find a source (which I now have) than to plot each buoy manually.

As for time, I asked the question and walked away. In the morning I had two answers and 15 minutes after that, I had all of my coordinates. If I had attempted to manually plot them, I'd probably still be fooling around with it.

In many places, if you can see from point A to point B, you can just go direct. Not here. I have to travel 3 miles to get to a place less than a mile away simply because of all of the shoals. Everybody runs aground around here from time to time. I'm trying to avoid it as much as feasible.