wierd problem bennett trim tab stuck down need help

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer
I have the bennett sport tab i believe its the m80 model with the trim tab indicator with seperate controls for the trim tabs. The starboard side works fine the port side is stuck open. Heres what i have done so far.

Cleaned all connections at helm and gound wire from the hpu to the battery.
Verified over 12.3v going to the selonoid and motor(red and yellow wires) inside the hpu.
Swapped the hydraulic lines made no difference which verifys the motor and valves work fine because the starboard side still worked fine.
So i narrowed it to the actuator. I took it apart which dropped the pressure so it collasped again.

Now the issue is once i hooked it up again and run the tab all the way down i heard a pop and it wouldnt come up again. If i move the tab down but not all the way down it would come back up.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: wierd problem bennett trim tab stuck down need help

Now the issue is once i hooked it up again and run the tab all the way down i heard a pop and it wouldnt come up again. If i move the tab down but not all the way down it would come back up.

You are describing a mechanical bind. Disconnect the hydraulic lines and cycle the tab manually. You should feel the bind or over stroke. The course of repair will be determined by the source of the bind.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

What could bind in there though?

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What could bind in there though?

The ram over-stroking in the bore for beginners. Second thought would be an over-center condition resultant from slop in the linkage/mountings.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

Ahhh well will a new acuator be a solution or it may be fixable without a new acuator?

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

Update: I believe the rod for the trimtab indicator is slightly to short is my issue here. Can anyone tell me the minimum length of the rod thats inserted into the top of the actuator?

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Update: I believe the rod for the trimtab indicator is slightly to short is my issue here. Can anyone tell me the minimum length of the rod thats inserted into the top of the actuator?

Furyman,

Did you have the indicator added recently? Also how old are the Trim Tabs? On an M80 or M120 the rod length should be 6-11/16"
Tom
Bennett Marine

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

Furyman,

Did you have the indicator added recently? Also how old are the Trim Tabs? On an M80 or M120 the rod length should be 6-11/16"
Tom
Bennett Marine

Thanks for the quick response. I believe I talked to you this morning, thanks again for the excellent customer service I will send the trim tab actuator to you today.

Please feel free to call, text, pm, or email me with the info I sent you in the box.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

I think you probably talked to Thomas at the factory. He is a great guy and I am sure he will take good care of you.

Tom
Bennett Marine

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

I think you probably talked to Thomas at the factory. He is a great guy and I am sure he will take good care of you.

Tom
Bennett Marine

Yes sir I did, sorry for the mix up. It's awesome to see more than one person for the same company more then willing to help us out.