Info on forester boats

Vertigo

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at purchasing a 92 Forester, 3.0 Ltr I/O, 16 feet. Can anyone tell me what this brand is or was like? For instance performance? I am looking at using mostly for skiing and tubing.

Re: Info on forester boats

Is that Merc powered? What outdrive?
Forester went out of business in 1996. In 1992 they listed approx. 30 models. Yours is the smallest of their I/O s that year - the 160 Sport.

Vertigo

Seaman Apprentice

Do have any insight as to the quality and why they went out of business? I believe it is a Merc and it says Cobra 3.0.

Do have any insight as to the quality and why they went out of business? I believe it is a Merc and it says Cobra 3.0.

I'm guessing that, like many boat mfrs, they failed due to the recession of the early 90's.
I know nothing about their quality ( hopefully some members do?) but they seem like a larger company judging by the number of models they offered.
One note of caution - you mention Cobra, if you're refering to the outdrive then it is an OMC drive (and probably engine). OMC is also no longer in business. There is no problem getting parts, but the parts for the drive are harder to find and expensive. It's also harder to find a shop that will work on them:(

Vertigo

Seaman Apprentice

I have been told it is indeed an OMC 3.0 Cobra.

Vertigo

Seaman Apprentice

How are I/O's for sking and tubing?

How are I/O's for sking and tubing?

No problem. How good depends on the power to weight ratio! The more power you have then the faster you can go and with a higher load. The one you are looking at will be fine as long as you don't carry a full passenger load while trying to pull a skier!

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I owned one for a while. Seemed to be a well built boat. How it's been maintained is a huge factor,and the power and drive is more important than the brand of boat,as has been mentioned.

halfmoa

Ensign

Vertigo, since no one else has said it I'm gonna tell you how to approach this boat...

Overall: 16 footer...small but acceptable to some (myself included)
Walking closer: I/O, nice and quiet...more hassle for winterizing and some maintenance issues but not something to shy away from.
Closer engine inspection: OMC Cobra...(turn 180 degrees and head back home)

I'll probably get some flack for this post because there's plenty of Cobras running hard day in and day out BUT they're no longer making parts for them and mechanics are harder and harder to find. Go on to the next classified ad brother...