Anchor Chain - what guage chain

andrewnzinuk

Cadet
Hi All

I need to get a anchor chain. Our boat is a Four Winns 180 (5.5 meters). I understand the chain length should be about 1.5 * the length of the boat.

The question I have is what guage i.e. 6mm, 8mm or 10mm. We mostly boat on lakes - does anyone have any opinion on the guage and whether it matters.

Thanks

Andrew

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Anchor Chain - what guage chain

The 6 or 8mm should be fine. 3m might be enough chain for a 6m boat.

It depends a lot on the lake. Lake Superior or Lake SkinnyWaters?

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's not so much the strength of the chain as even the smaller chains you mentioned have plenty of pulling strength. But weight is another factor as increased weight increases effectiveness since the chain keeps the pull on the anchor more horizontal than vertical and the weight of the chain absorbs some of the energy created as your boat bobs up and down.

Sea ya...

Thalasso

Commander

What lakes? If they aren't rough waters like the Great Lakes and your pulling the chain up, your not going to need a lot of chain. 18 ft boat,in a calm lake can get by with 6-8 ft of chain.If it's going thru a windless, the windless will determine what size chain you can use

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

What lakes? If they aren't rough waters like the Great Lakes and your pulling the chain up, your not going to need a lot of chain. 18 ft boat,in a calm lake can get by with 6-8 ft of chain.If it's going thru a windless, the windless will determine what size chain you can use

18 ft boat on a calm lake can get by with NO chain... At least my 18 foot boat has been fine for many, many years! Alternatively, I've used bungi cord instead of chain. Similar results, just alot lighter. (note, I wouldn't recommend that for any serious anchorage, but it works great for a small lake/river in decent conditions.)

haulnazz15

Captain

6-8 ft of chain will be fine for an 18 foot boat on inland lakes. The chain helps set the anchor and absorb the movement of the boat on the surface. 1/4-3/8 chain will be fine.

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have a 20fter and just use a 3/8" rope and boat on a river w somewhat of a current and have no problems at all.