Best 31 ft Cruiser?

Seevee

Seaman
Re: Best 31 ft Cruiser?

Is your 270 the older one with a 10 foot beam or the newer one with 9 foot.
I really appreciate the old 270 of ours, 31.6 overall length and the 10 foot beam gives a lot of room to move around.

We looked at the newer 90's/2000 models and they were cramped accommodations to say the least, the layout was just wrong.

Admiral,

I see I didn't answer this question. Yes, my 270 Dancer was one of the first with the 8.6 beam, new layout and smaller. And, yes, the cabin was tight, even for 2 people. Later years had a better layout. And, if served us well, reliable fun economical boat, but it's time for an upgrade and change.

Seevee

Seaman

All,

Still looking, and now comparing the 310 Chaparral with the 318 Four Winns. They look remarkably similar, and wondering if those experienced with both can comment. The Four Winns seems better appointed, and better styling. The Chap has better engine access, nicer port lounge, nicer settee in the cabin. Also, I've heard that parts from Chap can be an issue.

I have not demo'd the 318, but hopefully will, shortly.

Other things?

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Well, for almost any parts you may need for either brand, they would likely be ordered through a local dealer, and not direct from the builder. So then it boils down to what dealers of both brands are near you. I have several friends with Chaparral boats, a good local dealer, and parts and customer service is first rate. I also have several friends who own Four Winns cruisers, they are a customer of my company, and are built here in Michigan. No bashing here, but Four Winns has lost alot of dealers after the bankruptcy, and do not seem to be overly concerned with building that deler base up to what it should be. Our local dealer is great, and any parts needed can be ordered without issue. Styling is a matter of taste. Layout of the boat is more personal preference than a materials issue IMO.

In summary, I will say that both brands are equal in my book, as far as build quality, materials and re-sale value. I will give the edge at this time to Chaparral for customer service and parts support.

You need to sea trial both boats and decide which one fits best for you. If it was me, and both boats were nearly equal in price, features, condition, and year, I would lean towards the Chaparral 310 Signature.

Good Luck !!

Thalasso

Commander

All,

Still looking, and now comparing the 310 Chaparral with the 318 Four Winns. They look remarkably similar, and wondering if those experienced with both can comment. The Four Winns seems better appointed, and better styling. The Chap has better engine access, nicer port lounge, nicer settee in the cabin. Also, I've heard that parts from Chap can be an issue.

I have not demo'd the 318, but hopefully will, shortly.

Other things?

Take note of the power (engine/out drive) If it is the Volvo XDP (composite) don't buy it. I see a lot of them for sale. If the engine is Volvo, do you have a dealer near you that can work on it? They came with Merc power packages also.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

He is already aware of the XDP issues, and has been warned on two other message boards.

BarryBoats said:
I had to replace my outdrives after numerous issues. If the boat is a bargain it is because you will need to spend money to replace the drives sooner than later.

Volvo has abandoned the technology.

It is not worth the effort to even look at or even consider any boat with the composite outdrives.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

What year is your current sundancer? What's the beam? - Just curious what you are replacing.

LK

Slip Away

Lieutenant

What year is your current sundancer? What's the beam? - Just curious what you are replacing.

LK

He stated a couple posts ago his 270DA was "one of the first with the 8.6 beam". 1992 was the first year with 8'6" beam in the 270DA of the 90'a era.. 1990 and 1991 had a 9'0" beam, 1988 models were the last with a 10' beam. Sea Ray did not make a 270 Sundancer in 1989. So I suspect his is between a 1992 and 1997, as Sea Ray went to a 9'2" beam in the 270DA in 1998.

Seevee

Seaman

LK

Current Sundancer is a 1994 270 with a 8.6 beam. Fine boat, but ready to upgrade. The mission will be close to the same, except adding more creature comforts and being more comfortable in a bit rougher seas, if needed.

Seevee

Seaman

More thinking....

A good boating friend has pointed me toward the Formula 31PC, which looks interesting. It's a step above the others in both quality and price. It's also a bit heavier at 14K lbs, pushing the limit of my 16K lift.

However, it looks pretty good and appears that one could be had for perhaps 25% more than the Chap or Four Winns. Doesn't get the gas mileage that the Chap or Four Winns does, but not a big issue for my boating. And, quality IS important. That's why I fly a Beechcraft and not a Cessna. However, boating is not my passion, and will be of limited usage, perhaps once a week or so... not a die hard boater.

Worth it? Can any Formula owners that have experienced the other boats comment? And, also comments about the smaller Formula 31 and 33 Sun Sport, that looks like a lighter, faster boat, at the expense of a much smaller cabin.

tpenfield

Staff member

Formula 31PC would be best.

You won't be short on power.

tpenfield,
The Formula 05 and later are great, but awful pricey. What makes them worth that much... almost 50% more than the competition.

The difference in price for the Formula is going to be in the quality of the materials. They typically use more stainless steel instead of aluminum or plastic versus other lines. There is a reason Formula is one of the premium brands, like Cobalt, Cruisers Inc, etc.

More thinking....

A good boating friend has pointed me toward the Formula 31PC, which looks interesting. It's a step above the others in both quality and price. It's also a bit heavier at 14K lbs, pushing the limit of my 16K lift.

However, it looks pretty good and appears that one could be had for perhaps 25% more than the Chap or Four Winns. Doesn't get the gas mileage that the Chap or Four Winns does, but not a big issue for my boating. And, quality IS important. That's why I fly a Beechcraft and not a Cessna. However, boating is not my passion, and will be of limited usage, perhaps once a week or so... not a die hard boater.

Worth it? Can any Formula owners that have experienced the other boats comment? And, also comments about the smaller Formula 31 and 33 Sun Sport, that looks like a lighter, faster boat, at the expense of a much smaller cabin.

We did talk a little bit about the Formula line . . . They are better values as used boat than they are as new boats. I just bought a 33 Sun Sport. . . It weighs about 9000 lbs and goes mid-50's mph (like 54 mph). I looked at a 31 PC, but it did not really fit my style of boating. As you mentioned, I believe the 31PC is about 12K lbs. pushed by twin 454's. I believe that it will get in the high 40's to low 50's for speed . . . which is pretty fast for a boat that size/weight.

The performance will be there with a Formula versus other brands, as they are generally well powered, and the 'componentry' is generally higher end. Construction-wise, they are similar to many boats, but tend to have a bit more impact resistance built into the hull in the form of 'ribs' every foot or so. Styling is one of their more prominent traits.

The graphics tend not to fade as they are made from high-end Imron paints.

So, to compare it to an automobile . . . it is like a BMW or Accura. . . versus Ford's and Chevy's.

Here is a link to my 'search' thread . . showing a 31PC and some 330SS and 280ss boats. http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topics-questions-not-engine-topics/looking-new-boat-561385.html

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I'm not a Formula owner. But I am a die hard boater. OP states "once per week use", so that leads me to believe that length of boat ownership will not be long with the same boat. I do know about quality of boats and what has good resale value. The Formula will have better resale than any Four Winns, especially a V318. In Florida, the Imron paint on a Formula will be much easier to maintain than gel coat too.

Seevee

Seaman

I'm not a Formula owner. But I am a die hard boater. OP states "once per week use", so that leads me to believe that length of boat ownership will not be long with the same boat. I do know about quality of boats and what has good resale value. The Formula will have better resale than any Four Winns, especially a V318. In Florida, the Imron paint on a Formula will be much easier to maintain than gel coat too.

Slip,

I'd bet that I keep this boat 10 to 15 years. I tend to keep things. I could care less about resale. My goal is to "use it up" and throw it away when done. I'm sure it won't be like that but I'm more concern about enjoying it and having a good reliable boat.

Seevee

Seaman

We did talk a little bit about the Formula line . . . They are better values as used boat than they are as new boats. I just bought a 33 Sun Sport. . . It weighs about 9000 lbs and goes mid-50's mph (like 54 mph). I looked at a 31 PC, but it did not really fit my style of boating. As you mentioned, I believe the 31PC is about 12K lbs. pushed by twin 454's. I believe that it will get in the high 40's to low 50's for speed . . . which is pretty fast for a boat that size/weight.

The performance will be there with a Formula versus other brands, as they are generally well powered, and the 'componentry' is generally higher end. Construction-wise, they are similar to many boats, but tend to have a bit more impact resistance built into the hull in the form of 'ribs' every foot or so. Styling is one of their more prominent traits.

The graphics tend not to fade as they are made from high-end Imron paints.

So, to compare it to an automobile . . . it is like a BMW or Accura. . . versus Ford's and Chevy's.

Here is a link to my 'search' thread . . showing a 31PC and some 330SS and 280ss boats. http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topics-questions-not-engine-topics/looking-new-boat-561385.html

Ted,
Yes, the Formula was mentioned and thx for the link to your posts. The Sun Sport looks really interesting. I'd prefer a larger cabin, but that may not be a huge issue as we will probably use the cabin for overnites for only 2 people. Would like to have the flexibility for four, but that's a very small part of my boating.

Question: Who's fresh water cooling kit did you get and are you happy with it?

tpenfield

Staff member

Ted,
Yes, the Formula was mentioned and thx for the link to your posts. The Sun Sport looks really interesting. I'd prefer a larger cabin, but that may not be a huge issue as we will probably use the cabin for overnites for only 2 people. Would like to have the flexibility for four, but that's a very small part of my boating.

Question: Who's fresh water cooling kit did you get and are you happy with it?

It is the San Juan Engineering FWC kit (#MC324). I just installed them a few weeks ago, so I have not put them to the test in real life operating conditions. I chose SJE over the Seakamp brand, because SJE had a specific kit for my version of the Merc 7.4 . . . Seakamp seemed to have only a generic kit for a broad range of 7.4's.

The instructions were a bit vague, so I had to figure some things out on my own. I got the 'FULL' system, so it cools the exhaust manifolds as well as the engine.

Here is a link to the installation, etc. thread http://forums.iboats.com/non-repair-i-o-inboards/fresh-water-cooling-kits-arrived-today-581994.html

As far as overnighting on the 330SS . . . With a full canvas enclosure (which I have), you could fit 4 for an overnight, because there is a filler section for the back lounge seat, making it into a sunpad or bed. More than 4 - no way. So, the 31PC will be much more comfy for an overnight, but less open for day boating (probably uses more fuel too)

Seevee

Seaman

It is the San Juan Engineering FWC kit (#MC324). I just installed them a few weeks ago, so I have not put them to the test in real life operating conditions. I chose SJE over the Seakamp brand, because SJE had a specific kit for my version of the Merc 7.4 . . . Seakamp seemed to have only a generic kit for a broad range of 7.4's.

The instructions were a bit vague, so I had to figure some things out on my own. I got the 'FULL' system, so it cools the exhaust manifolds as well as the engine.

Here is a link to the installation, etc. thread http://forums.iboats.com/non-repair-i-o-inboards/fresh-water-cooling-kits-arrived-today-581994.html

As far as overnighting on the 330SS . . . With a full canvas enclosure (which I have), you could fit 4 for an overnight, because there is a filler section for the back lounge seat, making it into a sunpad or bed. More than 4 - no way. So, the 31PC will be much more comfy for an overnight, but less open for day boating (probably uses more fuel too)

Ted,
Thanks for the link, great article. Yea, I thought installing a FWC kit would be a job, but looks like you have done a great job. Get the cooling issue solved, and running ok now?

As for overniting on the back, would eliminate 8 months because of no AC out there (Florida), but could be ok for winter overnights.

Also, what year is your boat? How's the headroom in the cabin? Formula brochure shows only 5'7" which wouldn't work for me at 6 ft.

CC245

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a side note. The thread say's your looking for the best 31ft cruiser. While Ted's Formula is a beautiful boat it's far from a cruiser. More like a large sport cuddy. The other boats you were looking at were aft cabin cruisers.
Are we just getting a little off track, or have you changed your search?

Seevee

Seaman

Just a side note. The thread say's your looking for the best 31ft cruiser. While Ted's Formula is a beautiful boat it's far from a cruiser. More like a large sport cuddy. The other boats you were looking at were aft cabin cruisers.
Are we just getting a little off track, or have you changed your search?

CC245,

Yea, I was getting a little off track. I don't think the 330 will work, but it it had just a bit of a bigger cabin, it probably could. While we spend the vast majority of time on deck, we just don't want to eliminate the overnights on the hook with friends, and the small cabin just won't fit.

I really like the quality and fit of the Formula 31PC. It's probably as big as I'd go, and sure could go a bit smaller. The size of the Chap and Four Winns would work, too, as well as the Cruisers 300, which is ever a tad smaller, yet.

Gut feeling, I'm thinking of leaning toward Formula. I don't mind spending a bit more for quality. It's just a tad big. Started out looking for a 29 and then got "two foot itis".

tpenfield

Staff member

Ted,
Thanks for the link, great article. Yea, I thought installing a FWC kit would be a job, but looks like you have done a great job. Get the cooling issue solved, and running ok now?

As for overniting on the back, would eliminate 8 months because of no AC out there (Florida), but could be ok for winter overnights.

Also, what year is your boat? How's the headroom in the cabin? Formula brochure shows only 5'7" which wouldn't work for me at 6 ft.

My boat is a 1996 . . . first year for the 330SS. I could of had a 31PC for short money, but it was going to need quite a bit of refurb.

5'7" sounds about right for headroom in the 330SS . . . the 31PC is probably closer to 6'. Sounds like you really need the cruiser rather than the sun sport.

CC245

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Formula 31pc is a good choice but you will have to make some compromises. Early in the thread you said you were looking for a late model, low hour boat in the 60 to 70k range. Late model is usually 5 years old or newer and you will not find an 08 or newer 31pc for under 100k(except if your shoping in the superstorm Sandy area):)In your price range your looking at a 10+ year old 31pc. Thats not a bad thing, just not the late model low hour boat you talked about.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

In your price range your looking at a 10+ year old 31pc. Thats not a bad thing, just not the late model low hour boat you talked about.

I think budget has been increased to just under $100k now. This 2005 31PC in Ft. Meyer's might be on his radar currently.
3857393_-1_20120310080342_0_0.jpg

Or 2005 below for $119K possibly.

Attachments

• 4103794_-1_20121011103533_0_0.jpg
    4103794_-1_20121011103533_0_0.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0