windlass

bigdaddie

Recruit
I have a windlass powerwinch 450 p77731 and when I drop it freefall to anchor it works fine, when I start to retrieve the anchor it sometimes stops...motor runs but gypsm does not turn and rope appears to be jammed in the wheel..push freefall and it starts working for a short time..It has caused the leather looking washer in side the unit to go bad .do I have a rode that is the problem, or is the unit defective.....just installed it this is happening.... Don

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: windlass

There should be a tension adjustment an the windlass,seem's you have it too loose and wore out the clutch already. That adjustment is there to prevent you from ripping the whole thing off the deck if the anchor get's hung up on something or so you don't pull the bow under,wich ever comes first! Read the manual for your unit! Another thought, is the windlass rated for your anchor/use? Too small and it'll never be right.
Grub

Thalasso

Commander
Re: windlass

I have a windlass powerwinch 450 p77731 and when I drop it freefall to anchor it works fine, when I start to retrieve the anchor it sometimes stops...motor runs but gypsm does not turn and rope appears to be jammed in the wheel..push freefall and it starts working for a short time..It has caused the leather looking washer in side the unit to go bad .do I have a rode that is the problem, or is the unit defective.....just installed it this is happening.... Don

If the rode isn't winding then try adjusting the clutch.Have you ever taken it apart to clean it and lube it as required ? If the rode is binding in the gypsy then most likely your stripper is wore out or broken. Part #R001432