Davits on 23 ft cruiser with outboard engine

malta

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning all.

I have a 23 foot cabin cruiser with a 200 hp outboard - i also have a 6 foot dinghy which i keep in the cockpit when tied up, and i keep on deck, or tow when under way. It is quite a hassle to steer with, when on deck, and the towing can't be doing the fittings any good, so i thought of installing davits on the stern to stow the dinghy when under way. since i have an outboard engine, and its not a big boat, do you think i wil be spending good money that i will regret? If i do this, i will probably install detachable davits that can be stowed when not in use (and will allow the rain cover to be put in place when moored).

I enclose a photo of the boat - this shows two engines, but the boat now has just one outboard.

thanks

Cliff

Attachments

• P25-05-11_17.35[01].jpg
    P25-05-11_17.35[01].jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Davits on 23 ft cruiser with outboard engine

How about making a hard top bimini and storing the dinghy on top of the bimini top? It would keep your deck space clear and I doubt a 6' dinghy weighs too much.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Why do you need a dinghy when your driving one? Just pretend you've got an 80 footer in the anchorage and your primary is the dinghy. ;)

malta

Seaman Apprentice

oh to dream :)

but truth be told, the option to use the bimini top is one i had not considered. I think it already is strong enough to take the weight. tie it down when under way, and bob's your uncle :)