Teak wood and ATF fluid

67GTA

Seaman Apprentice
Awhile back in one of the post someone mentioned that you could use ATF fluid on the teak. I was interested to see if anyone has tried it and how did it turn out.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Teak wood and ATF fluid

I did it once, it looked good but I sold it shortly after. No idea how it held up.

shrew

Lieutenant

Not great if spilt or leached into the ground or water. They make plenty of good teak cleaner's and oils out there. Why not use those?

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

They make plenty of good teak cleaner's and oils out there. Why not use those?

Probably because if you put the word "TEAK" on it, the price immediately doubles. ATF is cheap. I wouldn't put ATF on fine hardwood, but that's just me.

captsteve25

Cadet

Years ago I had a full teak dive platform. I tried ALL the home remedies including ATF fluid. Save the ATF for your car and just pick up some teak cleaner and teak oil. It worked the best for me.
Just don't scrub too hard with the cleaner as it may remove the softer pieces of teak wood. Don't ask me how I know.

robert graham

Admiral

I've seen some houses in Florida of Pine, Cedar, Cypress that used ATF Fluid to help weatherproof them...looked real nice with that reddish color. Might be fine for a Teak Dive Platform, but for that little bit, I'd probably just go with the Teak Oil....

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boat Life Golden Teak Oil. Hands down the best.

IMG_20120604_194835.jpg