strange compass

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok well the compass itself is not strange, BUT..
I was out working in the boat and noticed that the compass (internals) were upside down..
the only way i was able to get the numbers right side up, was to remove the compass from the helm, turn it upside down and shake it while turning it up and down..
never heard or seen this sort of thing happen b4. its not a prob as i am replacing it with a back light compass next week. just would be interesting to find how this would happen.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer
Re: strange compass

This is a common problem when you are barrel-rolling your boat.

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

*laughs*
good replies so far..
All i can think of is: 1) we had a great thunder storm the other week. 2) we had a huge power surge, and my boat is parked half on the foot path under the power lines.

will be interesting to see others this has happened to :)

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had that happen once on a very old compass. The water must have leaked and messed it up. I refilled and never worked correctly after. They seem to be very sensitive.

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah i dont think they use water. just watched how its made and they did a small thing on the compass. they said they use a "special liquid"

this compass did leak a small amount when i started shaking it around lol

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Figures. I was young, stupid, and always in a hurry. Probably should of at least used distilled water. Was before I had internet so was more difficult figuring things out.. We had to use those weird looking extinct things.. I think the experts call them books...

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

I think that "special liquid" is alcohol, so it doesn't freeze.

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

they didnt say what it was in them as it was a company secret.
i remember books. we used to have book fights with them at school then at work,
dam it hurt so we changed to capcitor discharge fights.

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HA! did you play have your fights outside in the rain puddles? that would make an interseting light show...

Ned L

Commander

Both oil and achohol are used, it depends on the compass as to which it is.

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The best fluid to use for any compass, old or new, is purified kerosene. Purified kerosene is transparent, has low-volatility, does not generally damage painted surfaces or mother-of-pearl dials (tests should be carried out first if unsure), it is gentle on rubber and silicone gaskets and seals, and ideal for all compasses. If your compass previously contained a different fluid then it is wise to flush out the old compass and all its internal parts several times with purified kerosene prior to the final filling. Purified kerosene works under a massive temperature range, from around minus 40 Celsius to around 65 Celsius. However, it is NOT SUITABLE FOR ALL COMPASSES so please take advice before using purified kerosene.

Stanley G-150 compasses are traditionally filled with Isopropyl alcohol. This works fine. Isopropyl alcohol is very volatile and will find any weakness in the seals and evaporate. It is also less gentle on rubber and silicone seals, and can eventually break down the glue used to hold the two Tritium lights in place on the dial and underneath the dial. Isopropyl alcohol is recommended only for G-150 compasses, but if purified kerosene is available then it is a better choice. Also kerosene has a higher density and thus provides improved damping in comparison to isopropyl alcohol.
If your compass bowl is painted white inside then do not use isopropyl alcohol as it will almost certainly damage the paint. Also, if your compass has white paint inside the bowl, NEVER let the paint dry out, especially when working on it.
Remember that compasses are normally filled under vacuum. This is not possible for the home user, so it is good practice to fill your compass in cool conditions, and to let it stand for 12 hours to let bubbles form, then release the bubble(s) and do a final top-up before final reassembly.

Ned L

Commander

Thank you & good information MW. From what I understand many antique compasses that are painted white inside were actually painted with a paint that used egg whites as their base.
An old trick to make filling a compass easier (because 'we' can't fill them in a vacuum) is to put the compass and the fluid in a freezer a day before filling. this helps drive any suspended air out of the fluid and causes the fluid to contract some so that bubbles will not return as easilly (a contiuation of your fill it in a cool condition suggestion).

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Compasses manufactured between circa 1904 and the late 1960s will almost certainly still contain the remains of Radium-based luminous paint. This is an extremely highly radioactive substance and potentially very dangerous. These compasses should not be opened by non-qualified personnel as the fluid, which will have been in contact with the Radium for many decades, will be as radioactive as the Radium itself. If the Radium paint, dust from the paint, or fluid that has been in contact with the Radium is ingested, inhaled or enters the body through a cut or scratch on the skin then it would be wise to seek urgent medical assistance, taking the compass and parts with you, sealed in a suitable container.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

perhaps the lightning storm reversed it. Did you also check the Corriolis Effect? Did your toilet flush the other way round after the storm too?

Filling the compass with alcohol in Australia is a bad idea; the dinky diy's can work up a mean thirst on a boat....

(Before crossing the Outback I was told about broke-down people dying after drinking "water" from the compass and the radiator)

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

home i was going to say that. if it was alcohol my brother would have downed it. hell i remember many many years ago, every time i saw our prime minister on the telly he had a beer in his hand. ah the good old days :)

as i said im bining this compas only cause of its size and it looks like a 2nd head. i just trying to figure out what happened :)