skipjack; good, bad, or ugly

youknowmongo

Cadet
I recently bought a 20 foot, 1971(+/-) skipjack off a former co worker as a project. Being that I'm relatively new to the boating community I have some experience with a smaller outboard run about. After researching skipjacks, I have found they are either loved or loathed. My question is what is your opinions on the brand and why? Like I said, its a project boat for my family so any detailed review would be helpful. Is there anything specific I should be concerned about or is it more of a Chevy vs. Ford scenario?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: skipjack; good, bad, or ugly

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Got any pictures,..??

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

when you have a 40 year old boat, brand is irrelevant, unless you have a classic or are trying to do a show-quality restoration. Instead, you want to learn about how to detect hull problems, decide what needs repairing, and how to do it.

If you have the 1971 motor, you will want to look into keep or upgrade. Generally, a running motor that old would be better replaced than spending big $$ to repair.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My question is what is your opinions on the brand and why?

Not sure where you are located but you're asking about a brand of boat that is still produced here locally in SoCal and arguably what many considered the preferred fishing trailer boat of choice locally for many years; some still do.

Some guys here will never get rid of them and just keep fixing and re-powering when needed; some guys even do outboard conversions on the smaller models to get even more cockpit space.

Many smaller models used Volvo gas power though nowadays new models start at 24 feet up to 38 feet with the larger models having several choices of power and drive combinations to suit your needs.

There's no shortage of websites to seek information and get help on Skipjacks.

Mark

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Agreed with MarkSee that Skipjack has a fantastic rep and following in S. California.

(Though also agreed with Home Cookin' that rep means little if the boat's trashed)

OP, where are you located?

youknowmongo

Cadet

thanks for the replys. I will post pics when I get the deck cleaned. It's been sitting outside for 2 years after a rebuild engine. Oil looks good, fuel I'm not sure if it has stabilizer in it.

Them still being manufactured and from what I can tell from some owners they are pretty durrable the hull looks in good aoe with just cosmetic uo top.