High speed pontoon boats...Are they safe?

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class
This summer I saw several tri-toon setups on the lake with high HP engines reaching impressive speeds. I have also found several YouTube videos of people doing 60-100 MPH in pontoons.

I am wondering if pontoon boats were ever intended to run this fast? Is this safe?

I am not trying to debate anyone as I have zero experience with pontoons, I am just curious.

My second question is in regards to maneuverability. Are these tri-toons as maneuverable as a fiberglass runabout? Are they a good choice for a skier or wake boarder?

What are the advantages/disadvantages when compared to a deckboat type layout?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: High speed pontoon boats...Are they safe?

for anything on YouTube, the worse the background music, the more dangerous it is.

People love overpowering boats (and cars and bikes) for racing or daredevil fun but that does not make it a good idea for the average or recreational user. So what you see may be the "special" and not a good idea for you. Bass boats are the same way.

It's my understanding that toons are not good on turns and therefore not the best for water sports. Of course the ads show people using them that way, and lots of people do, but it doesn't mean it's the best set-up. PLus wake boarding wants wake.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I have to tell you, the thought of a 60 MPH Pontoon boat makes Pontoons much more appealing to me personally, until someone gets hurt we may never know but I have yet to see a Pontoon breakup at speed, everything I have seen tells me they are very stable at speed and handle speed very well. I seriously doubt that companies like Bennington and a few others would expect to have a long term business plan selling/manufacturing dangerous Pontoons so I think it safe to say they are a safe well made Boats.

Other then that I completely agree with Home Cookin, the worse the background music the more dangerous it is!!

If the song is Let the bodies hit the floor, stay very very far away!!

UncleWillie

Captain

We took a demo ride on a Bennington Tri-Toon with a 250hp OB at a boat show last year.
Found it very enjoyable and not at all scary.
It cut through 1 ft chop nicely at 45 mph with 7 people onboard.
I was impressed.

jestor68

Commander

I have driven several tri toons capable of 40+ mph and they handled quite well. Because they ride with the forward section(s) of the logs up out of the water, they handle much like a regular boat; nothing like the more common two log pontoons.

I too have seen the U-Tube video of the character doing 107 mph(world's fastest pontoon boat). It's powered by triple 300 Mercs. None of the occupants were even wearing PFD's. Is it safe? Hopefully the structure was modified to handle that kind of power and speed, but it could be a disaster looking for a place to happen if he encounters a decent wake at that speed.

nlain

Commander

I do not remember the name but there is a company that builds and advertises a 70 mph tri toon, engine on each outside tube, I had seen the adds several times.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Doesn't matter how fast it goes or how well it turns, pontoons will ALWAYS be marginal at best for watersports, at least sking/wakeboarding. They put up an ugly multiple wake for skiing, and although its possible to wakeboard, same problem. You don't get one nice fat wake, you get multiple smaller ones all jumbled together. A beginner will be fine, but thats about it.

southkogs

Staff member

for anything on YouTube, the worse the background music, the more dangerous it is.
Brilliant, HC! ... I may need to frame that on the wall in my office at work :D

This summer I saw several tri-toon setups on the lake with high HP engines reaching impressive speeds. I have also found several YouTube videos of people doing 60-100 MPH in pontoons.
I've seen 40MPH 'toons that handled rather well, and have seen 60MPH tri-toons that seemed to do okay (I don't have enough experience with them). Mainly because of the way a pontoon turns, I'd be highly skeptical of stuff up toward that 100HP range being consistently safe. Although, bass boats they run down here are designed to hit 70 or 80+, and I don't think they look that particularly safe doin' it. Maybe I'm gettin' old.