Water Wasp Mini Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakeys

Seaman
Well, I'm not entirely certain as to the "why", but I've just acquired a Water Wasp mini boat. Evidently produced with love (?) for two years, 1969 - 1970 in Savage Minnesota. That's the extent of what I know about this floating fiberglass high performance turd.

Now - what to do with it. I may be suffering from delusions of grandeur thinking that Dad and I are going to do a restoration of sorts on this old seafaring girl (rather, smooth-as-glass water or it'll get swamped, seafaring girl). I mean c'mon, it's 8 feet long and looks pretty simple. How hard could a resto on an obsolete boat manufactured for only two years over forty years ago be? Right? Right?!! (Why am I hearing crickets?)

So, for now, I'm looking for any information whatsoever on this little barnacle-free-beauty. Any information! I've scoured the web (ok I've spent some time looking, perhaps scouring is too strong a word) and can find very little. A for sale ad out of Cocoa Florida which didn't include a photo, and a thread on another forum that some guy named Hydro claimed to have one in his younger years with a 20-horse that could pull a skier (huh?). That's it. Any other searches for "water wasp" shows a small six-legged black and yellow insect with the same attitude as my ex-wife.

So now what do I do? I have to figure out some controls, an engine (4-stroke 9.9?), fuel tank, and electricals. To make this a bit more challenging, it doesn't appear that you can access the inner hull. So now I have visions of a sawzall a six foot piano hinge solving that minor concern.

So, fellow boaters who have the same delusions that I have - unlimited funds, unlimited spare time, and a cooperative bride that fully understands, supports, and embraces these wild nautical impulses - I'm looking for some insight. Anything! Tell me about this boat. Talk to me about the process. Talk to me about setting the hull out next to the garbage toter next Tuesday morning and coming back to my senses.

Thanks in advance, gents.

Boat photo is not mine - one of the few I found on the www. Mine is just a hull. Cables are in a box. No handles or anything bolted to the hull. I'll post pics as time progresses.

water wasp.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Water Wasp Mini Boat

Interesting - that is supposed to have a motor on it? Looks like a pedal boat.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

well, having never heard of a Water Wasp Mini Boat (of for that fact, Savage, Minnesota :redface:) it appears that sending positive vibes and wishes for good luck are about all I can contribute .... I do find your project to be intriguing and look forward to following your progress .... as has been noted, the closest thing I've seen to the one in your picture is a paddle boat

Jim

jsimms724

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey bakeys Your new project looks like something they had at a amusement park I went to when I was a kid, late sixties or so there was a park right on lake pontchatrane They had a cool coaster called the zypher Anyway theese litle boats floated around in a man made lake I am pretty sure they ran off of a 12volt battery they didnt go very fast, not a thrill ride. they were like a water version of the old time cars (tin lizzy ride) no bumping allowed, I might be wrong it was 45 years ago good luck with it The handle on the front was for the carnie type guy to wade in and untangle the boats I know my brother and I would try to slam into each other and every body else , keep us updated on your project

Bakeys

Seaman

OK Fellas, just to further reinforce the fact that I haven't been sniffing glue (or fiberglass resin) in regards to mounting an engine, here's an excerpt from another forum. Please don't notify the copyright police.

By the way, the data plate on the engine mount says up to 10hp. I have an Evinrude Fastwin 18 that may fit. :p

Hey 20, have no fear, just drive it like you stole it, smile and wave!

KG- Here is a pic of a boat I had a long time ago that had similar planing issues due to the short 8' length and no way to redistribute weight, except for my butt. I ran a 20 HP motor, spinning a 9 1/2 X 13 two blade prop and it did about 35 MPH. The only way to get it to plane off was to climb out over the front and hang on until the bow leveled and it took off (sound familiar?). Worked the same way with a passenger (note the OH S*** handle behind the seat). Once it planed it was a blast to drive. I just had to get the set-up right. We even pulled skiers behind it, just had to pick them up from another boat with a rope hand off!

Wasp800.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

Aaaaagh ... I can't find anything on it either. I know I've seen one (in pictures) before, but can't find it now. I had a friend who had a different make of two seater and a few years ago I was kinda' looking for one to play with.

You're not nuts. If you've got the time, go for it. The one we ran in had a 10HP, and I'm thinking anything much more on it woulda' been scary. Pulling a skiier was probably doable if you overpowered it, but there's a good chance that the skiier could pull the boat in a moderate turn. Not sure I'd want to play that game.

Cool boat ...

Bakeys

Seaman

Nah.... I'm too old for that kind of adrenaline! There's a Merc 9.9 4-stroke on Craigslist I've got my eye on. But I may need help subsidizing a divorce attorney. ;)

halfmoa

Ensign

It looks to me like it should be bolted to a spindle and driving in a circle at the carnival! I believe that was the fate of a lot of these little boats.

Sorry, I have nothing to add. Keep us updated though.

Willyclay

Captain

KG- Here is a pic of a boat I had a long time ago that had similar planing issues due to the short 8' length and no way to redistribute weight, except for my butt. I ran a 20 HP motor, spinning a 9 1/2 X 13 two blade prop and it did about 35 MPH. The only way to get it to plane off was to climb out over the front and hang on until the bow leveled and it took off (sound familiar?). Worked the same way with a passenger (note the OH S*** handle behind the seat). Once it planed it was a blast to drive. I just had to get the set-up right. We even pulled skiers behind it, just had to pick them up from another boat with a rope hand off!

This description is very familiar to me from my teenage years in the 1960's when there were several options for this type of craft. While I have not heard of yours before, we had great fun with our Flying Flivers and home-built Mini-Max's. Horsepower increases naturally occurred amongst the group and straight-line speeds were exciting. However, the hard chines on your Wasp will not respond well to high-speed turns. My advice is to take it easy or prepare in advance on how to recover a submerged outboard. BTDT!

Scamp Deluxe

Cadet

I also just purchased a Water Wasp, not knowing anything about them other than they have a unique look to them. Mine doesn't have the "hole" up front that I was told was for mounting a flashlight. I bought it from a guy that was running a 20 HP tiller type outboard. He had it rigged for pulley and cable steering, but had to put it in gear and set the throttle over the back of the seat. I passed on the purchase of the outboard. I intended to get 10 - 15 HP outboard with controls on it. But with grandkids and elderly parents, life sometimes gets complicated. I hope to have it on the water next year, but thats what I said about my 14 foot Shell Lake Scamp Deluxe with 30 HP Johnson. I too will appreciate any informationothers can share. I will try to provide pictures.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

100_6066.jpg011.jpg102_0262.jpg102_0261.jpg100_6190.jpg

I have seen that hull, but I can not help you with information on the Water Witch.

Too much adrenaline at your age? I am 67 and here is a 10 footer with a 55 that I frequently ride. As stated above, to get it on plane I need to lean way over the steering wheel. When she finally breaks over into plane, she snaps to the starboard and I need to be ready for that. Once she starts running straight, the fun begins. And yes, I have had the dry side down three times when I got too crazy jumping wakes.

Oh, by the way, the combination of boat and dog is a "Chick Magnet."

Bakeys

Seaman

Scamp Deluxe (sounds like a seafood dish I ordered once),
I think a 20 is going to be far too aggressive for this little girl of a wasp. Considering how light the hull is, I'd think a 20 horse would sink it. I spoke to a gentleman yesterday in Minnesota whose had one with the intent to restore for thirty years now. (Do I see a trend here? The dreaded curse of the Water Wasp - they sit around your yard, garage, barn for countless years waiting to be restored.) He had his apart to introduce some more flotation in the hull and to install some stringers to strengthen key areas. He also wanted to add 4" to the hull for stability. But, alas, he had on Craigs for $50 as he said it was "garbage". Another Wasp bites the proverbial dust.

The idea of external mechanicals just bugs me. With a couple of strategically placed access ports, one could hide the ugly steering cable routing, the control cables, and fuel line within the innards of the hull. A rubber grommeted exit out the back leading to the power plant wold make for a much cleaner look. Seriously, do I need a black fuel hose running along the side of my Wasp? Again, this reiterates my want for more information.

Scamp, based on photos I've managed to scrounge, the hole in the front is for the navigation light. My light is missing but there's a curious bracket inside that hole that has a thumb screw on the exterior side. (huh?)

I may have a Water Wasp photo shoot today and will update later.

Frank, I don't need a chick magnet. The one I've got suits me just fine and considering how long she's tolerated my shenanigans, I'd best keep her.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

My current gives me a lot of leeway too. And yes, she is enough for me. I don't really want a young-un, but just because I am diabetic doesn't mean I can't look at the sweet sticky buns.

Bakeys

Seaman

Some pics.
Not National Geographic quality, but it conveys what I want it to.

DSC_4868.jpgDSC_4862.jpgDSC_4863.jpgDSC_4864.jpgDSC_4865.jpg
In the third image you can see a bracket of sorts. Not sure of the purpose. Others I've seen had a nav light in this hole.

Steering wheel had a nice chromed cover with the name "Nautalloy" on it. Nautalloy was a company 20 miles down the road from me. Ironic. It went missing on the trip home. That sucks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Nah.... I'm too old for that kind of adrenaline! There's a Merc 9.9 4-stroke on Craigslist I've got my eye on. But I may need help subsidizing a divorce attorney. ;)

on your mini boat I would be looking for a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke. the 2 stroke 9.8's weigh in at 65#, where the 4-stroke is 85#. the worst place you could add weight would be the motor.

Bakeys

Seaman

on your mini boat I would be looking for a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke. the 2 stroke 9.8's weigh in at 65#, where the 4-stroke is 85#. the worst place you could add weight would be the motor.
Good call Scott, thanks for that. I thought there may have been a weight consideration but wasn't aware of any actual specs.

emoney

Commander

Looks like it'll be loads of fun when you're done. From the pics, should be able to separate the top from the bottom and run all your control wires in the two access ports already in place. I've seen other "versions" of those little "boats" and they seem to me to be precursors to the jetski. Have fun and keep us posted.

Bakeys

Seaman

That's the kicker, emoney, there are no access ports. From the few images I've been able to find, the steering cable pulleys are mounted to the top of the deck (screwed into the hull). Same with control cables. The only holes going into the hull are screw holes.

I suppose I should start with rub rail removal to determine if the top and bottom have been sealed / epoxied / glassed together?

This is why I'm looking for any and all information I can gather.

Last edited:

Scamp Deluxe

Cadet

Mine has the pulley and cable screwed into the top of the deck like you mentioned. I have added pictures. The 1st picture shows the set-up of the previous buyer with a 20 HP Merc. 2nd picture from the front may indicate this one is newer than yours.

Attachments

• Water Wasp.jpg
    Water Wasp.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Water Wasp2.jpg
    Water Wasp2.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.