Water Wasp Mini Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakeys

Seaman
Re: Water Wasp Mini Boat

Scamp D, tell me more!
I don't see any controls on yours. Throttle control on the tiller arm? Sounds a bit risky. How about inside hull access? Non existent? I keep pondering an access panel cut into the back of the seat.
Would like to hear more!
I can't open your second attachment.

Thanks!

halfmoa

Ensign

That's the kicker, emoney, there are no access ports. From the few images I've been able to find, the steering cable pulleys are mounted to the top of the deck (screwed into the hull). Same with control cables. The only holes going into the hull are screw holes.

I suppose I should start with rub rail removal to determine if the top and bottom have been sealed / epoxied / glassed together?

This is why I'm looking for any and all information I can gather.

Either split her in half, which would be the least desirable but most effective option, or get the fishing wire out and start stabbing away!

Scamp Deluxe

Cadet

There are only a couple of screw holes on the deck by the seat where there apparently were some type of controls removed by a previous owner. I too will have the dilemma of mounting controls and am not ready to split the deck and hull. The guy before me used the throttle on the tiller handle - too risky for me.
I am just beginning to try and find a 10-15 HP outboard with controls, and then I'll need to figure out the mounting for controls
I put in a request to see if the Savage Historical Society had any information related to a manufacturer - they didn't, but they have passed my request on to their public library. If I get anything I will share it online.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

used short shaft 10/15 with controls are the proverbial needle in a haystack. however long shaft's with controls are out there primarily from pontoons and sail boats

I picked up a long shaft with controls and electric start and a short shaft tiller of the same year for my wooster project. the rest is bolts.

Bakeys

Seaman

Oh the irony!
Scamp D, we must think alike! The first thing I did when I got the WW was look up Savage, MN and email them for any information regarding this brief burst of brilliance :p that originated in their humble community. I received an email from Melissa, their local librarian, yesterday indicating that she could find nothing so far. She was going to continue her search. What a chuckle! When did you contact them Scamp?

What will I find inside the hull? Mine is missing the Nautalloy (made in Port Byron, NY 25 miles from where I'm sitting comfortably in my living room) chrome handles all around. It's also missing the Nautalloy chrome steering cover which I lost while transporting it home from work this past Friday :facepalm: I suspect it came off and rolled into some dingweeds somewhere along my 21-mile commute. :( I'll do another low and slow drive to work this morning looking for that elusive little chrome nugget. I can only guess that there are strategically placed reinforcements in the hull - wood perhaps to accept the coarse-thread hardware designed to hold the pulleys, handles, and control brackets on? If so, I wonder what condition they are now in. I suspect they'd have to be rotted to some degree. If I remove the rub rail and separate top and bottom halves am i asking for trouble or is this "routine" for a job like this?

As far as controls, I think for safety, and I may be delusional, that maybe a "hotfoot" gas pedal could be in order. The other option would be a wheel mounted finger pull throttle. How cool would that be?:D

Again, any and all insight, assistance, and sympathy are greatly appreciated.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

50 years ago, had a "Sport Yak II". Was a thing that looked like a semi-rigid plastic, 6' inflatable. Weighed a whopping 45 lbs. Mfgr said max HP was 1.5 or electric fishing motor. Hung an old 5.5 Elgin on it, locked down the steering friction, fired it up and steered it by grabbing the rubrail and twisted the tub from side to side. Exilerating - Yes. Smart move - Absolutely not. I was 12, so what did I know. As long as no one got hurt and folks didn't find out, all was good. BUT.... It sure was fun hauling ***** in that little thing on glass smooth water....LOL

Scott Danforth

Staff member

why not run a standard set of controls in the cowling?

as far as steering goes, if your splitting the hull, I would put a rotary steering system and route the cable between the hull and cap. I would put in a section of PVC conduit to run it in. But that is just me.

you will most likely find that either core-mat was used, or small blocks of wood as reinforcement. if it was wood, your probably right that most of it has rotten by now.

Waterwasp

Cadet

I am new to this site at the request of Bakeys. these are 2 posts I made on another site.

I heard that herters59 mentioned me in regards to the query about the WaterWasp. I have one, and bought it used about 1970. The label was damaged that rated it at 10 HP MAX, and I put an old green Johnson 25 on it. Coming off a wake it would stand on the prop and plane out fast. It would do 32 MPH but you really had to watch the waves so that you didn't catch a front corner and dive in. I had a lot of fun with it but now it has been hanging in the rafters of my garage for decades.

This boat was evidently meant for children because 10 HP is way under powered, or the Co. wanted to avoid law suits. My old green Johnson 25(vintage about 1953)seamed about right. For reliability purposes I bought a new Evenrude 25 (in the early '70s) that had a smaller diameter prop and did not have the torque of the old Johnson. I would have to lean over the front to get it to plane. In about '77 the new Evenrude was stolen and I resurrected the Johnson, and the boat was more fun again.

Bakeys

Seaman

Here's something I ran across....
You can see it on my Flickr set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/got2fly/sets/72157631610801246/

My Wasp does not have any chines! (Or would they be called stabilizers?) The one I stumbled across somewhere yesterday (Craigslist, I think) has 4 very aggressive chines (stabilizers) in the hull. I would think this would enhance handling. What I find a bit curious is that the Wasp with the chines has a much earlier HIN than my Wasp. This obviously implies that it was an earlier production.

WHY would they get rid of the chines (stabilizers) and go to a smooth hull? I've been thinking about adding chines to the hull anyway, but this sort of reinforces my thoughts. Or at least it did, the fact that they got rid of them on later productions is causing me to second guess.

Thoughts?

Willyclay

Captain

Chine refers to the hull design specifically where the sides join the bottom; i.e. hard chines, soft chines, round bottom. I get the impression you are concerned about something else but I just do not know what it is. Pictures or drawings?

Last edited:

Bakeys

Seaman

I think "Strake" may be the correct terminology. A raised, angled surface (generally triangulated) molded / attached to the hull. Designed to keep a vessel moving straight when lateral forces are applied, as opposed to sliding laterally across the water. A sailboat keel serves the same purpose. Conversely, they keep the vessel tracking in an intended direction while turning, so therefore prevents lateral slip in a turning situation.
Not sure how else to say it.
Pictures were included on my flickr link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/got2fly/sets/72157631610801246/

Willyclay

Captain

I think "Strake" may be the correct terminology. Pictures were included on my flickr link.

Thanks for that explanation because only six pictures were available in that link when I looked and none of them showed the strakes. IMHO with experience in small, fast, flat-bottomed boats, you probably need something to provide directional stability but maybe only one down the center. Possibly a small fin like the racers (looks like one from a slalom ski) would work. Maybe you could do some tests and see how the original design works before you start re-engineering that beauty. I recommend you do not try turning it while on-plane because I believe the smallest wake or wave will cause it to flip. Good luck!

Bakeys

Seaman

The flickr page should show a green Wasp from a CL ad I found yesterday. It has four strakes running a good portion of the length of the hull. Each strake protrudes nearly an inch, so it's somehwat agressive in my estimation.

wasp 9.jpg
Now, as far as flipping while on plane, why does it flip? Would strakes or sponsons reduce the probability of flipping?

Good call as far as "engineering" is concerned. Get it in the water first, then play 'mad scientist' with the design.

Willyclay

Captain

Now, as far as flipping while on plane, why does it flip? Would strakes or sponsons reduce the probability of flipping?

Turning while on plane is the issue! That thing will be skipping across the water like a flat rock and, if the hard chines dig in, you will be upside down. What is fascinating about that experience is the motor continues to run upside down until the water chokes it down. Be safe!

Waterwasp

Cadet

Each strake protrudes nearly an inch

I just went out and measured the depth of the strakes on mine, and they are about 1 and 3/8 inches deep.

This boat probably doesn't need the strakes if you are going to use a 10 HP or smaller motor because I don't believe you will ever get it to plane out and then the sides of the boat would give you all the stability you need. But think about this, if you get the boat to plane, the sides aren't in the water, at speed (mine would go 32 MPH) you go into a turn and all that will keep you from going sideways is the flat edge of the boat. That edge will tend to dig into the water and if you slide into any kind of a wave I think you will be in the water with the boat flying over you (or slamming on top of you).

The only time I ever turned at high speed was in very calm water, and I felt like the boat wanted to through me over the side.

If you try it without adding the strakes, be very careful.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I wouldnt say that a 10hp wont plane.

geoff-nz

Cadet

I used to race in a class of 8' boats with 25HP engines. Mine ran a Yamaha 25 with a 3 blade surface cleaver propellor and was clocked on the measured mile at 53MPH. Now thats fast in a 8ft boat:D. The engines were jacked up till prop shaft was level with bottom of boat. You had to nail the throttle then button off till your wave passed under the hull then full throttle again and surf down the wave. The engine would labour then scream as the prop ventilated but as soon as the nose started to drop it would grip and the acceleration from there on was amazing for a 25hp outboard. Very similar to a car doing a wheelie. My boat wouldnt even float unless I was in it. It would just tip over backward lol. Steering used wings mounted to bottom of powerhead as conventional engine steering mountings were not precise enough and too "wobbly".
They were an absolute blast to race and only needed a tiny budget.

Anyways, to my point.....

My brother raced a tunnel hull that looked somewhat similar to yours. He rode in it on his knees so he could transfer his weight when cornering. After a couple of years he decided to alter the top deck to get a bit more of an aerodynamic shape and enable him to sit and use a foot throttle. We also added a strake to each sponson of about 3x1". This gave the hull a bit more lift and an increase in top speed. The downside was that when cornering it tended to grab on the outside sponson and flip the boat if he wasnt quick enough.

Strengthen the transom and slap a 20-25hp on it. You'll love it:D

geoff-nz

Cadet

One other thing. Make sure you have a kill-switch lanyard attached to your life jacket and an inner tube up inside the hull as tunnel hulls are prone to flipping lol:D

Old Scout

Seaman

Greetings, glad to see this thread as I also recently acquired a water wasp. It is the green one pictured in an earlier part of this thread. As noted it has on the bottom several runners that run the length of the boat. I thought this would be a fun item, kind of a "water go-cart" so to speak. I belong to an vintage boat chapter as well as a vintage outboard chapter and this boat will be a nice addition to the events I go to. My goal is also to run running gear through the hull, i.e, gas line, wires for nav lights, etc. I have seperated the the boat, deck from the hull, as there was considerable rot in the transom and support boards, stringers, etc. Seperating the hull was not that big an effort, there were rivits to drill out, the fiberglass seperated easy in some spots but not all, got a little sporty around the transom. Another consideration will be to add floatation inside the hull as there appeared to be none in the orignal design, I also want to add stronger (wider in thickness) stringers as the originals were only 1/4 inch thick. Will send pics soon.

Bakeys

Seaman

Old Scout!

Thanks for joining and chiming in!

By all means, please, please, please, contribute as much info as poosible to this thread. And pics.

My Wasp seems to be structurally sound so I'm not sure it's going to come apart. But I can certainly see the advantages of doing so as far as replacing wooden componenets and adding more flotation.

Do you know anything about the Wasps? Yours seems to have a much earlier HIN and mine has no strakes in the hull whatsoever, so I'm wondering if the manufacturer felt the strakes were potentially hazardous and decided to forego them on later models. Why else would they do away with them?

Looking forward to the interaction!

Keep well, Sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.