Is Si-tex telling me the truth?

westicals

Cadet
2012-09-17_23-01-51_270.jpg

I bought a boat and this si-tex/koden loran receiver c 760 is monted at the helm. Im not sure of its functions at all so I message si-tex directly and they said,

"The LORAN system was shut down a few years ago, so the 760 is not useable. The LORAN system has been superseded by GPS."

Is this true? Is this system not even usable now? If so then why would they still be selling them used online and how is it that someone in another blog posted that there's was being fixed because the display only showed 9999999 across the display?

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Is Si-tex telling me the truth?

Welcome to 2010 ;)
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-08/...ning-system-devices-gps-navigation?_s=PM:TECH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LORAN
Per a subsequent announcement, the U.S. Coast Guard, in accordance with the DHS Appropriations Act, terminated the transmission of all U.S. LORAN-C signals on February 8, 2010.[2] On August 1, 2010 the U.S. transmission of the Russian American signal was terminated,[2] and on August 3, 2010 all Canadian signals were shut down by the USCG and the CCG.[2][3]

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LORAN

In November 2009, the U.S. Coast Guard announced that the LORAN-C stations under its control would be closed down for budgetary reasons after January 4, 2010 provided the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security certified that LORAN is not needed as a backup for GPS.[19]
On 7 January 2010, Homeland Security published a notice of the permanent discontinuation of LORAN-C operation. Effective 2000 UTC 8 February 2010, the United States Coast Guard terminated all operation and broadcast of LORAN-C signals in the USA. The U.S. Coast Guard transmission of the Russian American CHAYKA signal was terminated on 1 August 2010. The transmission of Canadian LORAN-C signals was terminated on 3 August 2010.[20]

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Even if it was operational, bigger question is why! A $100 handheld GPS will be far more accurate and have far more features, and probably take 1/100 of the power.

Get yourself a nice GPS plotter/fishfinder and use that in place of where this antique used to be.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

View attachment 168902why would they still be selling them used online and how is it that someone in another blog posted that there's was being fixed because the display only showed 9999999 across the display?

There's a sucker born every minute. Would you like to buy my 8-track cassette player? It works great!

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

why would they still be selling them used online ...?
Because the system was shut down quite a while ago & some "snakeoil salesmen types" know that some people don't realize it. GPS/chart plotters are much better anyways.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I still see them crop up on CL occasionally, so yeah, it's a 'sucker' play. I have one complete with antenna sitting in my garage. Anybody want it? Makes a great paperweight, and you can use the antenna to, uh, like... poke stuff.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

and how is it that someone in another blog posted that there's was being fixed because the display only showed 9999999 across the display?

You may want to double check the date on that post ;)

As for why they still sell online, who knows... Maybe there is some re-use purpose for the components inside the box. Maybe the only thing Joe Schmuck needs to finish his time machine is some part that only exists inside a LORAN positioning system.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I sold an old LORAN made by lowrance last year. The guy I sold it to was an electronics collector. This was one of the first portable units with built in rechargable battery and an antenna mounted on it. It had no value as a usable nav aid. But was apparently important to him as an antique. Not totally useless anyway.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

There's a sucker born every minute. Would you like to buy my 8-track cassette player? It works great!

Just about every garage sale I go to has an old portable battery operated analog TV set. Can't use them any more either without a box, but if you need the portability of battery power it won't work anyway.

What's wrong with an 8-track? My classic car still has one and there is one in my entertainment center (along with DVD, CD, etc.). They still work.

emoney

Commander

All good things must come to pass. The reason why this Loran unit was left on the boat when you got it, is because the PO knew it was useless, regardless of if he shared that or not.

It is taking up dash space. Remove it and put it on Ebay, lol.

westicals

Cadet

Well thank you every one! I bought the boat from the original owners wife who was very old. Im new to boats so its my fault more or less. Can the antenna that's mounted on the boat be used for anything tho or should I toss that to? Is worth something to anyone?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Well thank you every one! I bought the boat from the original owners wife who was very old. Im new to boats so its my fault more or less. Can the antenna that's mounted on the boat be used for anything tho or should I toss that to? Is worth something to anyone?

probably not worth much, but... You don't want to try using it for something else unless you know exactly what frequency it is tuned for. Hooking up a transmitter to a random antenna is a good way to fry a radio.