1959 Bronson Runabout

mark1111a

Cadet
I have owned my grandfather's old boat for about 27 years. It is a 1959 Bronson runabout. I would like to see if I can restore the boat, motor and trailer. I have found lots of valuable information on iboats about the 1959 Evinrude 10hp Sportwin Golden Jubilee, but I seem to be running into dead ends when it comes to the boat and boat manufacture. The trailer is also a 1959 Hulsc. It would also be interesting to know what value other than sentimental there may be in the set.

100_6525.jpg

Scovbert

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1959 Bronson Runabout

wow man i really dig that boat! what an awesome runabout...if this is yours, man i would keep it!

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wish I could tell you more about it, but all I know is it is the same as my first boat. My had been repowered with a 63 Johnson 35hp.

Still looking for a vintage runabout to restore myself.

Scovbert

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wish I could tell you more about it, but all I know is it is the same as my first boat. My had been repowered with a 63 Johnson 35hp.

Still looking for a vintage runabout to restore myself.

i might have something right up your alley, where are you from?

mark1111a

Cadet

California, a few hours drive north of San Francisco. There's a sticker on the engine cover, possibly the place it was purchased, named W.H.I. in Petaluma Ca. This is the town my grandfather lived in. I'm pretty sure the place doesn't exist anymore. I have my Mom checking with her vintage friends at her yacht club to see if they know anything about this vintage boat, lol.

Scovbert

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alas, I'm in Alabama. Lived upstate for 12 years but it's just too cold up there.

Thats a shame that you moved i have the perfect project for you...1961 16' Larson All American with a 73 50hp johnson. If you lived near by i would have given it to you...i hate to see this thing go to the dump. Needs the floor replaced but the motor is good and so is the rest of the hull. But you arent coming to get this thing from Alabama...so i guess the dump it is...

emoney

Commander

The sentimental value far outweighs any monetary value the boat would possess. When it comes to restoration time, I wouldn't worry about finding out a lot of the history of manufacturer, as it's not as if there are tons of "replacement parts" out there on the market. Not much you would need in that realm anyway. Read as many of these resto threads as you can, and jump in with both feet. These guys will walk you through the process when you're ready and then enjoy that boat for another 27 years. And whatever you do, keep that sweet looking old outboard running for as long as you can. That ups the "cool factor" by about 90%, btw.

mark1111a

Cadet

I was talking to a friend who's grandfather owned a boat shop in the town I live in now. He said that a lot of shops in those days built their own boats, so they did not have a well known manufacture brand name. Someone else told me that they do remember a boat shop at the address on the label on the engine cover. My main focus right now is to get the outboard running and then start on the boat. Thanks for the info.

Bernie Baker

Recruit
No idea if they are connected, but Bronson's Boat Works on Lake Bomoseen in Castleton Vermont used to build boats in the 50's. History book I was reading said they used to paint a lot of them blue, so maybe there is a connection.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Bernie - You are replying to a two year old topic. The OP and most other posters are long gone. Please do not reply to topic with no activity in excess of 90 days. Thanks.