Smart Tabs or Bennett Tabs for me? 2001 Maxum 2300 SR

Jolie Lynn

Seaman
Hi all,
I have read many threads on smart tabs and just about all but one talk about bigger boats. Ours is a 2001 Maxum 2300 SR bowrider overall length 24 feet with 250 HP Mercruiser and alpha drive. I have a 14.5 X 19 aluminum prop. I have another post in the prop section for going with a new prop next year which could help too I hear. She weighs about 4200 pounds. We mostly ride on lakes but once a year go into the Bogue Sound and hear contollable tabs are better. The side to side balance is quite good. The bowrise and especially pourposing has to be brought down a tad :) Nauticus has a new smart tab SX10512-90 for my size boat but would love to hear from someone who has them!! Bennetts seem to be the next choice but not too sure about another thing to play with while driving and wife might not get used to using them when she drives. Would love all input on my choices.
As always thank you!!!!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Smart Tabs or Bennett Tabs for me? 2001 Maxum 2300 SR

Your boat's size is right on the cusp of needing adjustable tabs. I've owned both- Smart Tabs on a 21', Bennetts on a 24' and on my current boat. If cost is a big factor for you, then I think you can decide on that basis- either will suffice. Overall, though, I prefer the Bennetts.

My .02

(Hey- are you trying to horn in on my username?? ;) )

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are many benefits to helm adjustable tabs on any boat. I'd recommend Bennett.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

Can't say enough about Bennett. Love the tabs and Bennett CS is top notch.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think the Smart Tabs are better suited for the smaller boats. The Bennetts ST16 Sport Tabs are on mine and I love them, as I like the control they provide.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I've never used smart tabs but i have adjustable (Lenco) on my boat and cannot imagine that smart tabs are smarter than I am. For example, with a side wind I can trim the windward side up and keep the boat drier, intentionally running off level.

However, my Lenco's (which came with the used boat) are just OK; had some problems. I think it may be normal for salt water and underwater electrical devices!

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

after literally months of reading/research, we will be installing Bennett Trim Tabs on our (just under) 18'er .... based on everything learned, I am convinced they are the best alternative

Jim

Jolie Lynn

Seaman

Thank You guys! I am going to do a little more research on Bennetts but if the cost becomes an issue with install this season I will have to consider the smart tabs and later tabs.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've never used smart tabs but i have adjustable (Lenco) on my boat and cannot imagine that smart tabs are smarter than I am. For example, with a side wind I can trim the windward side up and keep the boat drier, intentionally running off level.!

not smarter, but I'd be willing to bet they can adjust far more often and move far quicker than a normal tab! In smaller boats, they actually do work like shock absorbers, they are moving with the waves constantly.