Aluminum Tank Repair (hole in waste tank)

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an appreciation for the funnies and "punnies" that I expect to follow this post... however, I really need some "solid" adivce on this one. :)

While swapping my engine we banged my aluminum waste tank about 5 inches from the bottom of the tank. It left a 1.5inch long by 3/16 inch wide gash. To get by, I used a whole tube of Loc-tite epoxy putty... squeezing the putty onto the hole and flattening an edge about 1 inch wide, 1/4 thick all around. That repair has worked pretty well. I've had to replace the putty once in two years after it worked itself loose from the hole.

I am wondering if there is a more reliable repair that is specifically designed for aluminum. Something that does not require welding, will work on a vertical surface and will withstand contact with waste and waste treatment chemicals. Any ideas?

Thanks! Now let the jokes begin. :)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Aluminum Tank Repair (hole in waste tank)

No joke - Marine Tex - a two part epoxy that is harder than the alumnium when cured.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have used Marine-Tex on a steel fuel tank that held 50::1 gas-oil mix. The key is to clean the area real well, sand lightly to get the aluminum oxide off and then apply the Marine-Tex. I also recommend you embed a piece of fiberglass cloth in the Marine-Tex putty for additional resistance to cracking and to add strength.

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok... marine-tex and fiber cloth. I've got that on hand. Sounds like you both are convinced it will bond to the aluminum sufaces very well. Can it be applied to a vertical surface without running off? Although I have it on hand I have never actally used marine-tex and I don't know anything of its consistencey or reistance to gravity before being fully cured. Thoughts about applying marine-tex vertically?

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have no idea on it's viscosity and set-up time, but I have built stands out of cardboard or plywood with a piece of tape on top of the part/patch.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Marine-Tex is quite thick. It will not run much, if at all. Mix it as accurately as you can. It takes at least 24 hours to set up and cure, so plan accordingly. Sounds like a shi$$y job.....sorry