Mildew and Mold eliminator

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer
During the summer I take my boat out of the water every weekend and cover it with the factory covers as well as a tarp and leave it at the lake house. I wipe it down and try to let it air out before I cover it but sometimes the carpet is still a little moist. I am noticing small areas of black mold around the boat, it wipes off very easily but I dislike it being there. Will baking soda eliminate this problem? Also during the wintertime I cover it with the factory covers as well as the tarp then I park it under a metal carport. Are there any products you all use to keep the boat "fresh" during the storage times?

Rentaltux

Seaman
Re: Mildew and Mold eliminator

It sounds to me like the tarp you are putting over the covers is trapping the moisture inside. Covers are designed to breath and putting a tarp over them makes this impossible. If you must use the tarp then I would suggest building a frame to keep space between the cover and tarp and have the ends open or just don't use the tarp. Installing a couple vents in the covers will also help with airflow. The ones that double as pole support holders work well.

R

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think that your boat is covered too tight

It needs to get more air movement

Harry

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

3M makes a product to prevent the growth and works well for me so far. But generally prevention (dry/ventillation) is the best cure.

There are also solar bilge fans you can buy/make to suck air through bilge (bilge wizard?)

Winter or long breaks you can also use silica gel/beads to absorb some moisture. Make small plug in versions also for convenience/re-usability.

After a wipe down try to leave the boat in the sun for a half hour or more if possible - does wonders!

Get some waterproofing spray for your cover (303 or Starbrite for instance) and ditch the moisture trap...i mean tarp!

Brewman61

Ensign

They make a product called a "Boat Vent II", which attaches to your cover and acts as a vent as well as a socket for a prop rod, I put a couple of these in my cover to help with air circulation. They are sold on this website.

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

3M makes a product to prevent the growth and works well for me so far. But generally prevention (dry/ventillation) is the best cure.

There are also solar bilge fans you can buy/make to suck air through bilge (bilge wizard?)

Winter or long breaks you can also use silica gel/beads to absorb some moisture. Make small plug in versions also for convenience/re-usability.

After a wipe down try to leave the boat in the sun for a half hour or more if possible - does wonders!

Get some waterproofing spray for your cover (303 or Starbrite for instance) and ditch the moisture trap...i mean tarp!

I seems that every solution causes another problem. I put the tarp over the covers because it is parked under trees that drip sap, pine needles, and twigs when it rains and I want to keep the covers looking nice. I suppose I will try to park it in the sun for a while before I secure it. Otherwise, I suppose I will be cleaning mold for a while!

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I run a small fan in the boat to dry it out. You can try putting some desiccant in the corners of the boat but if the carpet is still wet it will absorb it quickly.

UncleWillie

Captain

Ventilation is the key.
If there is any water under the cover, you will soon have a Sauna!
Damp carpeting must be dried out, The bilge must be bone dry!
Even a cup of water will produce an entire boat at 100% humidity.

UncleWillie

Captain

I seems that every solution causes another problem. I put the tarp over the covers because it is parked under trees that drip sap, pine needles, and twigs when it rains and I want to keep the covers looking nice. I suppose I will try to park it in the sun for a while before I secure it. Otherwise, I suppose I will be cleaning mold for a while!

Try putting some pieces of "Foam Swim Noodles" at a few spots around the rub rail to break the seal and let the air blow under the tarp.
The tarp is just TOO MUCH of a good thing.

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

Try putting some pieces of "Foam Swim Noodles" at a few spots around the rub rail to break the seal and let the air blow under the tarp.
The tarp is just TOO MUCH of a good thing.

That's a good idea.

Thanks all!

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree that you need air flow, but I have used Concrobium with good results in non-boating arenas. I am planning on using it if/when I redo parts of my boat. I know it flat kills mold and prevents it's return.

Just a thought.

Expidia

Commander

If the lake house has an ac outlet . . . run an extension cord to the boat and plug one of these in. Can be left plugged in!
Problem solved cheap!

http://www.iboats.com/Air-Dryer-500-Davis/dm/*******.177889385--session_id.214415145--view_id.238385

If no AC, I found this solar powered pole cover vent for $29.99 on an online site:

1346975690.jpg