Hydraulic Steering Problem - outboard won't turn one direction but wheel turns freely

tazmajazz

Seaman Apprentice
Hi folks, I've tried searching for someone with this same problem and haven't found a solution. I'm hoping someone here has some insight. I have a Yamaha outboard FS150 with SeaStar hydraulic steering. For some reason, I can turn the wheel all the way port side but when I try turning starboard, the steering wheel keeps turning freely but the engine does not budge at all. I checked the fluid at the helm and it looks full. I don't really know what else to check. I haven't ever worked on a hydraulic steering system so any advice would be great. We just had the boat out Saturday with no problem but then Sunday we noticed this issue. Suggestions?

Thanks!

taz :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hydraulic Steering Problem - outboard won't turn one direction but wheel turns fr

Not exactly an electrical problem, so I will move this over to boat topics.

tazmajazz

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Hydraulic Steering Problem - outboard won't turn one direction but wheel turns fr

Not exactly an electrical problem, so I will move this over to boat topics.

Thanks Don, I wasn't sure which area to post it it.

Redman71

Recruit

Hi folks, I've tried searching for someone with this same problem and haven't found a solution. I'm hoping someone here has some insight. I have a Yamaha outboard FS150 with SeaStar hydraulic steering. For some reason, I can turn the wheel all the way port side but when I try turning starboard, the steering wheel keeps turning freely but the engine does not budge at all. I checked the fluid at the helm and it looks full. I don't really know what else to check. I haven't ever worked on a hydraulic steering system so any advice would be great. We just had the boat out Saturday with no problem but then Sunday we noticed this issue. Suggestions?

Thanks!

taz :)

I've got the same problem. Researching a solution, but it looks like a new helm is in the future.