Utility fishing boat which should I buy?

rccarnut

Recruit
All I'm in the market for a new utility boat and want to make sure I make a sound decision on a boat that will give me years of service. I plan on using this boat as a fishing boat on Small Lakes, Ohio river backwater and occasionally around islands on the Ohio river. Most of the time it will be 2 adults and one child 9 years old in the boat but possibly 3 adults at times. I've been looking at a few different 14' V utility boats and have found a few at a reasonable price but wanted input from others before I made my purchase. Below are the boats I'm looking at in the order of my current preference.

1) G3 Guide V14 XT - Current Quote Price ~$1750.00
2) Alumacraft V-14 20" - Haven't gotten a quote yet for this.....
3) Smokercraft/SYLVAN ALASKA 15 - Current Quote Price ~$2550.00 :eek: ouch...
4) Tracker Guide V-14 Deep V - Current Quote Price ~$1850.00

Thanks in Advanced for info....

RCCARNUT

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Utility fishing boat which should I buy?

I eagerly await the opinions of others but my current opinion is that a wide, flat bottomed Jon is far more stable than a semi-v. The ride can be a lot rougher on choppy water at higher speeds but the stability is worth it to me. The tri-hull designs at a much higher cost are more stable still.

Why are you only looking at Vs ?

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

well, you know what they say about opinions ..:rolleyes:.. of the 4, I like the G3 Guide V14 XT and Alumacraft V-14 because of the split rear seat .... having it makes using a tiller steer motor much more comfortable and the Alumacraft has a sligh edge with a 7" wider the beam .... have you considered the G3 Guide V16 with an 84" bean .... after the first two, I would list the Alaskan .... I like the split center seat which makes it much easier to move from from one end of the boat to the other

Jim

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 2003 G3 v167c. It works fine for the small lake we have in Iowa. Keep the beam as wide as you can afford.
Happy boating

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Get the one with the best max capacity rating, it'll come in handy as well as being a safety factor.

rccarnut

Recruit

I eagerly await the opinions of others but my current opinion is that a wide, flat bottomed Jon is far more stable than a semi-v. The ride can be a lot rougher on choppy water at higher speeds but the stability is worth it to me. The tri-hull designs at a much higher cost are more stable still.

Why are you only looking at Vs ?

I haven't ruled them out yet. I've been looking at same 14'x48" jons as well but in the G3 brand the 1448 is about $350.00 bucks more money. I did find an Alumacraft 1448 for approximately the same price as the G3 v14... and I like it as well.

rccarnut

Recruit

well, you know what they say about opinions ..:rolleyes:.. of the 4, I like the G3 Guide V14 XT and Alumacraft V-14 because of the split rear seat .... having it makes using a tiller steer motor much more comfortable and the Alumacraft has a sligh edge with a 7" wider the beam .... have you considered the G3 Guide V16 with an 84" bean .... after the first two, I would list the Alaskan .... I like the split center seat which makes it much easier to move from from one end of the boat to the other

Jim

The V16 is a little bigger than I need especially for some of the smaller places I want to go but once I see one I might change my mind.....

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Are you set on new?
I mean it's nice to get new but a gently used package (motor,trailer,boat,+)might be the same price as new and seeing it's getting closer to fall,some deals will show up.
Like someone already mentioned,a big thing to consider is the one with the biggest capacity rating.If your going with 3 adults,maybe a child,motor,gear,etc;you'll be surprized how close you will get to the max rating in a hurry.Boats in that size range are normally rated 4 person(500lbs) and around 850lbs max capacity.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Three adults in a 14 ft x 48 inch wide Jon does not sound like a good time to me. There would be no room for feet, rods, bait, adult beverages and most important, a fuel tank. You be a lot happier in my view with a minimum 15 foot x 70 - 80 inch wide V-hull

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Have you looked at any of the 14' Lunds? Very nice boats and the hold their resale value very well.

Also have to ask why you've discounted looking at used. Many older makes and models in the 14'-15' class. Not a lot that goes bad on these smaller boats and what does go bad is easily ad cheaply repaired.

richardgreen

Seaman

IMHO the best bet for this style boat would be a used Lund S14 or S16. The Alumacraft V14 and V16 are excellent too. I've owned both and have found the Lund to be just a bit more heavy duty. Here in MN these are the two primary brands to own based on long records of high quality.

RG

rccarnut

Recruit

All, Thanks for the input... I appreciate all the comments and advice. My wife got tired of hearing boat this, boat that, etc.... She said I want you to go buy a boat ASAP. So over the weekend I purchased the G3 V14 XT from the local dealer less than 5 miles away from my home. He treated me right and also gave me some sound advice. Took my Son, Wife and me out for a couple hours Sunday evening after I got everything ready to go. So far I'm very happy with the purchase and look forward to some great fishing over the next couple of months before the weather gets to bad to go....

Many Thx,
rccarnut