Waht should i look for when buying a boat??

ls1adam

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,
im new here and have joined to expand my knowledge of boats.
i have been on boats that friends have owned but this winter ill be in the market to buy one myself.
ill be looking for a ski boat, something like a ski nautique or similar.

what should i look for when i go and look at these boats?
and are there any years of boats i should stay away from?

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Waht should i look for when buying a boat??

Welcome. Tons of info here Adam....
Search-1.gif

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

welcome to iboats.

Start to study on how to inspect for rot, study up on the various drive units and motors. There is a ton of outdated crap on the market and what may appear to be a good deal may drain your bank account for a long time.

Have you owned a boat before?

If not step one is to take a boating safety class.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The best thing to look for is a friend who is a experienced boater.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Look for the obvious: HOLES! Sorry couldn't resist that. But yes -- a boating savy friend can be a great deal of help. Research the market in your area so you know what price range a given type of boat falls into. And by all means do not buy anything with an OMC I/O. They have been out of business for a long while and parts are hard if not impossible to find.

ls1adam

Seaman Apprentice

no i have not owned a boat yet.
unfortunately the friend who had a boat is no longer available, plus he wasnt all that boat savy. he kinda went in blind when buying something.

holes or damage is a given too look for lol, but thank you. i read somewhere that after 1990 that they started to do away with wood floors inside. is this true at all or is it all BS?

OMC I/O, is this the merc cruiser inboard outboard motor?

yes sorry ill try the search next time.

four winns 214

OMC I/O, is this the merc cruiser inboard outboard motor?

OMC is Outboard Marine Corporation. They are out of business.

Merc is Mercury Marine and they are one of the giants in the industry and very much in business.

ls1adam

Seaman Apprentice

ok thank you.

is the omc and rot the 2 biggest things to lookout for?

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A Ski Nautique is an inboard so the propellor is under the boat and not out the back like an Inboard/Outboard (sterndrive).
They still make very good boats with wood stringers but overall boats from the late 90's and newer will be less work to keep up.
An inboard will often make a better ski/wakeboard boat than a sterndrive but they will cost more. There are benefits to each type of boat, and disadvantages. Test drive some boats or go for rides to get an idea of the size and type you like. Good luck

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Don't buy anything with the 470 (3.7) Mercury 4 Cylinder either. I am assumeing that they would not have that engine in a ski boat but just warning you.

LK

ls1adam

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, im def looking for an inboard. these are the types i have riden in and like them.

four winns 214

thanks, im def looking for an inboard. these are the types i have riden in and like them.
If you are truly looking for an "inboard", there's no reason to worry about the OMC issue because there is no outdrive. An inboard has a prop and rudder. An "inboard/outboard" (IO or "sterndrive") is the configuration you've most likely experienced (they outnumber inboards 10 to 1 in boats less than 30') and the one where you need to avoid the OMC.

southkogs

Staff member

True inboard comp boat ... Natique or MasterCraft would be the first levers I'd pull there, but they'll cost ya' depending on how old you can find a good one. Supra was another brand that seemed pretty good, but I've no experience with 'em.

Are you into water sports big time? A ski boat isn't a wake board boat, just as an FYI. And there's a significant amount of expense buying a comp boat (new you might be talking $100k, used depends on how old you can find). If you're not chasing down an inboard for skiing, that probably widens your possibilities.

ls1adam

Seaman Apprentice

yeah i a have found a few between 5k and 10k and of coarse the price is depending on the year n stuff.
mastercraft i have found to be the most expensive out there. ski nautique, sanger, supreme, centurion seem to be the best priced for me.
the boat will be used for tubing, minor wake boarding, and just to have fun in the sun on the water.

i understand what your talking about the inboard and stern drive boats.

southkogs

Staff member

Gotcha' - the reason to ask is that the comp boats are great for skiing and kneeboarding. Tubing wouldn't be bad behind 'em, but ya' can pretty much tube behind anything. Wakeboarding is a whole different animal, and requires a boat that does (honestly) the complete opposite of what a competition ski boat does.

For wake boarding, find yourself a nice outboard that does around 30MPH and has some "junk in the trunk!" You'll want it heavy enough to cut big ole' waves for you wake board on. Seriously, you'll probably get a lot more boat for your buck if you come out of the competition ski boats.

Not saying don't get one, you might like it. But for what you're describing, it's not critical to what you wanna' do with it.