Removing an old Morse Steering System / Helm

Mike2140

Cadet
Hello,

I am trying to replace the steering system in my 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 (Mercruiser 228 / 898 Outdrive). The stock steering system is by a company called "Morse".

I have the steering cable removed as well as most of the helm. I can't figure out how to get the rest of it off. Here is a picture from the front:

IMG_20120826_143540[1].jpg

And the 3 bolts holding it to the boat on the back:

IMG_20120826_143621[1].jpg

I can't access the front of the bolts on the front to remove the back nuts. How do I get it off from this point?

Thanks,
-Mike

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Removing an old Morse Steering System / Helm

Unscrew the nuts on the back with a deep socket or wiggle an end wrench in there

Mike2140

Cadet

It seems like when I turn those bolts, the nuts aren't moving. I think there must be bolt head up there that's turning with the nut. I'll give it another shot though.

Mike2140

Cadet

Yep, I verified that the bolts are just turning with the nuts using a deep socket ratchet.

Another option - I bet I could break the plastic guard and access the other side of the bolts that way. Does a new Teleflex helm include a new plastic guard piece? If I'm going to be replacing it anyway that might be the quickest thing to do.

NHGuy

Captain

Get an image with dimensions of the new helm to make sure it suits you. Also check the trim piece, called an escutcheon, that it covers the old spot and won't leave a shadow of the old helm on the dash.
Maybe you can remove the steering wheel mount with a puller, there's a good chance you'd find the bolt end under there with the mount out of the way.

Vegas Naturist

Petty Officer 3rd Class

...remove the steering wheel mount with a puller, there's a good chance you'd find the bolt end under there with the mount out of the way.

This. From the pics it looks like the steering wheel hub is still on the shaft. The hub needs to be pulled off before the trim piece will come off. You can go to Harbor Freight or Sears and buy a cheap steering wheel puller to get the hub off. Good luck...

John